Slow-Cooker Chicken Tagine
- Paprika, sweet - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 2 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 2 tsp
- Potatoes, sweet - 1 lb, 1" (2.5 cm) cubes
- Onions, yellow - 1, chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 2 inches, grated
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Chicken thighs, boneless & skinless - 1 lb
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1, zest and juice of
- Garbanzo beans (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Raisins, golden (opt) - 1/2 cup
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Salt - 3/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 3/4 tsp
- Parsley, fresh, any variety - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Orange quinoa (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Make spice mix - Combine paprika, cinnamon, turmeric and coriander. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes / Onions / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (If you are in a rush, you can skip this next step, but it will add more flavor to your finished dish) Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil. Cook chicken until browned, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lemons - Prep as directed. Keep zest and juice separate.
- Garbanzo beans - Drain and rinse.
- Slow-cook tagine - Combine chicken, tomato paste, raisins, water, garbanzo beans, sweet potatoes, onions, ginger, garlic, lemon zest, spice mix, salt and pepper in the bowl of a slow cooker. Slow-cook on low for 6 to 8 hours (or high for 3 to 4 hours).
- Cook quinoa - If you have quinoa leftover from Monday, skip this step. Combine 1/4 cup dry quinoa with and 1/2 cup liquid (stock or water) for each serving (for 4 servings, use 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups liquid) in a saucepan. Add in some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chop parsley.
- Reheat quinoa in the microwave. Toss with almonds.
- Remove lid from slow-cooker and top chicken tagine with lemon juice and parsley. Serve over quinoa and enjoy!
Wow, I was so excited about this. It was DISGUSTING, inedible for me. Had a really, really bad taste. I love you Cooksmarts, but this is not a good recipe. I've had authentic tagine in Tunisia, and this was just not it. Threw it away ): Looking back at other reviews, I think the paleo recipe is missing an ingredient of chicken stock! This would explain a lot.0 Helpful
We followed the recipe and the flavors in this just did not work well together. We threw most of it away.0 Helpful
I followed the recipe as written, left it in the crock pot for 8 hours on low overnight, and ended up with a brown glop that resembled dog food. It did make the house smell delicious, so I still held out hope, but ended up putting the entire crock pot's contents in the garbage disposal. My first real bummer of a recipe from Cook Smarts.0 Helpful
I don't know whether it was too much spice, ginger or lemon zest, but the taste was just off. Almost had a chemical after taste. Also not enough liquid.0 Helpful
this is the first and only recipe so far that I just did not like at all it all came out mushy and the seasoning was just off.0 Helpful
First meal I didn't care for.0 Helpful