Slow-Cooker Chicken Tagine
This chicken and vegetable stew is seasoned with a unique spice mix that gives it great aroma and flavor. While traditional tagines are cooked in pottery with the same name, our version is made in the slow-cooker which helps to concentrate all those great flavors.
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tagine:
- Paprika, sweet - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 2 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 2 tsp
- Potatoes, sweet - 1 lb , 1" (2.5 cm) cubes
- Onions, yellow - 1 , chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 2 inches , grated
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Chicken thighs, boneless & skinless - 1 lb
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1 , zest and juice of
- Garbanzo beans (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Raisins, golden (opt) - 1/2 cup
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Salt - 3/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 3/4 tsp
- Parsley, fresh, any variety - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Orange couscous (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Make spice mix - Combine paprika, cinnamon, turmeric and coriander. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes / Onions / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (If you are in a rush, you can skip this next step, but it will add more flavor to your finished dish) Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil. Cook chicken until browned, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lemons - Prep as directed. Keep zest and juice separate.
- Garbanzo beans - Drain and rinse.
- Slow-cook tagine - Combine chicken, tomato paste, raisins, water, garbanzo beans, sweet potatoes, onions, ginger, garlic, lemon zest, spice mix, salt and pepper in the bowl of a slow cooker. Slow-cook on low for 6 to 8 hours (or high for 3 to 4 hours).
- Couscous - If you have couscous leftover from Monday, skip this step. If you don’t have couscous leftover from Monday’s dinner, measure out ¼ cup each of dry couscous and liquid (stock or water) for each serving (for 4 servings, use 1 cup couscous and 1 cup liquid). Heat the liquid in a small saucepan until boiling. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the couscous and cover with the lid. Allow to sit, covered for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and season with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chop parsley.
- Reheat couscous in the microwave. Toss with almonds.
- Remove lid from slow-cooker and top chicken tagine with lemon juice and parsley. Serve over couscous and enjoy!