Salmon with Orange-Ginger Sauce
quinoa salad with bell peppers and almonds
Salmon with Orange-Ginger Sauce:
- Salmon - 1 lb
- Lime - 1 , zest and juice of
- Ginger, fresh - 1 inch , grated
- Orange juice (store-bought or fresh-squeezed) - 2 cups
- Yogurt, Greek or plain (opt) - 1/2 cup
- Mustard, dijon - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
Quinoa Salad with Bell Peppers and Almonds:
- Quinoa (enough for 2 nights) - 2 cups
- Water - 2 cups
- Orange juice (store-bought or fresh-squeezed) - 1 cup
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , thinly sliced
- Arugula (sub chopped baby spinach or mixed greens) - 3 oz
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Make quinoa - This makes enough for Tuesday's dinner. Combine quinoa, water and orange juice in a saucepan. Add in some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Reserve half for Tuesday. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Slice bell peppers. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Salmon - Rinse and dry fish. Lightly salt and pepper. Zest lime and scatter zest over the top of the fish.
- Ginger - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Preheat oven to 425F (218C) degrees.
- Heat orange juice (just the sauce portion) and ginger in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and allow to continue boiling (reduce heat if it looks like it will boil over) until it reduces to a third of its original volume, ~10 minutes (this long reduction is key to getting a creamy sauce). Remove from heat and whisk in yogurt, mustard, lime juice, cumin and red pepper flakes. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Line sheet pan with foil and brush with some cooking oil. Add salmon and bake for 8 to 12 minutes (note: the general rule is 8 to 12 minutes for salmon that is 1” (2.5 cm) at its thickest point, so adjust as needed).
- Toss quinoa (remember to save half the quinoa for Tuesday) with bell peppers, arugula and almonds. Add half the sauce to salad and toss to combine. Serve salmon with the remaining sauce over the top and salad on the side. Enjoy!