Moroccan Grilled Chicken Breasts
spinach and red peppers / grated carrot salad
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Allspice - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken breasts, bone-in and skin-on - 1 1/2 lbs
- Bell peppers, red - 1, chopped
- Shallots - 1, chopped
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Spinach, fresh - 5 oz
- Carrots (sub bagged shredded carrots) - 10 oz, grated
- Lemons - 1, juice of
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Harissa paste (opt, sub other hot sauce) - 1/2 tsp
- Pine nuts (opt) - 1/4 cup
- Parsley, fresh, flat-leaf - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Make carrot salad - Grate carrots in a food processor or using a box grater. Combine carrots with lemon juice, oil, paprika and harissa paste. Season with some salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Spice mix - Combine paprika, cumin, allspice and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Toast pine nuts (if not already toasted earlier in the week) in a frying pan over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, until pine nuts are golden and fragrant. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and coat with spice mix, ensuring that some of the spice mix is rubbed under the skin. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Parsley - Prep as directed.
- If making chicken on the grill: Preheat grill to 500F (260C) degrees, keeping two-zones of heat - one part on higher heat and another part on lower heat. Clean grates and rub with oil. Place chicken over direct heat. Cook over direct heat on opposite sides for ~4 minutes each and then move to indirect heat. Grill with cover closed for another 8 to 15 minutes depending on the size of chicken pieces. Use a thermometer to help you figure out when the chicken is done, at 165F (74C) degrees.
- If making chicken in the oven: Preheat oven to 400F (204C) degrees. Adjust oven rack to the middle. Line broiler pan with foil and place broiler rack on top of the pan. Place chicken pieces on rack and roast for 30 to 40 minutes depending on the size of the chicken pieces. Use a thermometer to help you figure out when the chicken is done, at 165F (74C) degrees.
- While chicken is cooking, whisk together salad dressing ingredients - vinegar, mustard, maple syrup and olive oil. Season with some salt and pepper. Toss spinach, red peppers and shallots with dressing.
- Toss carrot salad with pine nuts and parsley.
- Serve chicken with both salads on the side and enjoy!
It would be a nice meal during winter when you want something light and bright. Make sure you choose a hummus with flavors, since that’s the main sauce of the dish.0 Helpful
Will add more flavour to pasta part. Otherwise scrumptious.0 Helpful
I used roasted garlic hummus to kick up the flavor, but I still found the pasta bland. The carrots were just strange, overly sweet and oddly flavored. I usually love harissa in everything, but not this. Pass.0 Helpful
This is a super easy, in your back pocket, healthy meal that tastes good! Added chopped onion, 2 cloves garlic, tons of salt and pepper, fresh grated Parmesan, a smidge of red pepper flakes, and sweet smoked paprika. I think it would have been pretty boring without all of that. I used the full 10 oz (not 6) roasted red pepper hummus, and about a cup of pasta water. Even Erik loved it, and he was convinced it would be disgusting.0 Helpful
Great alternative to pasta sauce, and so easy!0 Helpful
I roasted the pepper, removed charred skin and diced as directed. The salad was very tasty.0 Helpful