Moroccan Grilled Chicken Breasts
spinach and red peppers / grated carrot salad
This dinner is full of color and spice with Moroccan chicken breasts, spinach and red peppers, and a simple grated carrot salad. Smarts: Using bagged pre-grated carrots in this recipe can be a real time-saver!
Moroccan Grilled Chicken Breasts:
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Allspice - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken breasts, bone-in and skin-on - 1 1/2 lbs
Spinach and Red Pepper Salad:
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , chopped
- Shallots - 1 , chopped
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Spinach, fresh - 5 oz
Grated Carrot Salad:
- Carrots (sub bagged shredded carrots) - 10 oz , grated
- Lemons - 1 , juice of
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Harissa paste (opt, sub other hot sauce) - 1/2 tsp
- Pine nuts (opt) - 1/4 cup
- Parsley, fresh, flat-leaf - 3 Tbsp , chopped
- Make carrot salad - Grate carrots in a food processor or using a box grater. Combine carrots with lemon juice, oil, paprika and harissa paste. Season with some salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Spice mix - Combine paprika, cumin, allspice and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Toast pine nuts (if not already toasted earlier in the week) in a frying pan over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, until pine nuts are golden and fragrant. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and coat with spice mix, ensuring that some of the spice mix is rubbed under the skin. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Parsley - Prep as directed.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- If making chicken on the grill: Preheat grill to 500F (260C) degrees, keeping two-zones of heat - one part on higher heat and another part on lower heat. Clean grates and rub with oil. Place chicken over direct heat. Cook over direct heat on opposite sides for ~4 minutes each and then move to indirect heat. Grill with cover closed for another 8 to 15 minutes depending on the size of chicken pieces. Use a thermometer to help you figure out when the chicken is done, at 165F (74C) degrees.
- If making chicken in the oven: Preheat oven to 400F (204C) degrees. Adjust oven rack to the middle. Line broiler pan with foil and place broiler rack on top of the pan. Place chicken pieces on rack and roast for 30 to 40 minutes depending on the size of the chicken pieces. Use a thermometer to help you figure out when the chicken is done, at 165F (74C) degrees.
- While chicken is cooking, whisk together salad dressing ingredients - vinegar, mustard, maple syrup and olive oil. Season with some salt and pepper. Toss spinach, red peppers and shallots with dressing.
- Toss carrot salad with pine nuts and parsley.
- Serve chicken with both salads on the side and enjoy!