Creamy Hummus Pasta with Spinach and Red Peppers
grated carrot salad
We love the way store-bought hummus creates a creamy, savory sauce in this surprisingly healthy and filling vegetarian pasta. For a crunchy side, we've added a fresh grated carrot salad. Smarts: Using bagged pre-grated carrots in this recipe can be a real time-saver!
Creamy Hummus Pasta with Spinach and Red Peppers:
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , chopped
- Shallots - 1 , chopped
- Spinach, fresh - 5 oz , chopped
- Pasta (we like Fusilli or Cavatappi in this recipe) - 8 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hummus - 6 oz
Grated Carrot Salad:
- Carrots (sub bagged shredded carrots) - 10 oz , grated
- Lemons - 1 , juice of
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Harissa paste (opt, sub other hot sauce) - 1/2 tsp
- Pine nuts (opt) - 1/4 cup
- Parsley, fresh, flat-leaf - 3 Tbsp , chopped
- Make carrot salad - Grate carrots in a food processor or using a box grater. Combine carrots with lemon juice, oil, paprika, sugar and harissa paste. Season with some salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Toast pine nuts (if not already toasted earlier in the week) in a frying pan over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, until pine nuts are golden and fragrant. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Spinach / Parsley - Prep as directed.
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Save 1 cup (235 mL) of pasta water (amount is for 4 servings; adjust accordingly if customizing).
- While pasta cooks, heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add bell peppers and shallots and saute until tender, ~3 minutes. Add spinach and saute until spinach cooks down and residual water evaporates, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add pasta, hummus and half the reserved pasta water. Stir to evenly coat pasta in sauce. If sauce still seems thick, add remaining pasta water a bit at a time until sauce appears smooth and creamy. (The sauce will thicken as it cools.)
- Toss carrot salad with pine nuts and parsley. Serve pasta with carrot salad on the side. Enjoy!