Slow-Cooker Stuffed Peppersherbed yogurt / mixed greens
Stuffed peppers are super versatile, lending themselves to a variety of toppings and making great leftovers. For a lighter dinner, we serve them over a bed of greens with an herby yogurt topping. Make these in the slow-cooker or see the prep steps for easy oven-friendly instructions.
- Bell peppers, any color - 4, tops removed
- Onions - 1/2, chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Corn kernels, frozen or fresh (1 ear corn = ~1 cup / 165 g) - 1 cup
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 3/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 3/4 tsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Cilantro, fresh - 2 Tbsp
- Parsley, fresh, flat-leaf - 2 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1 cup
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Harissa paste (opt, sub other hot sauce) - 1/2 tsp
- Bell peppers - Slice tops off and discard seeds and stem. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Corn - If using fresh corn, shave kernels off cobs. If using frozen corn, defrost in the microwave.
- Slow-cook peppers - Combine pork with onions, garlic, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Spoon filling into bell peppers and place cut-side up into the bowl of a slow cooker. Pour 1/2 cup of water around the base of the peppers. Slow-cook on low for 6 to 8 hours (or high for 3 to 4 hours). (Note: Peppers can also be baked in the oven, covered, at 350F (176C) degrees until pork is cooked through, ~60 minutes.)
- Make herbed yogurt - In the bowl of a food processor, combine cilantro, parsley, yogurt, lemon juice and harissa paste. Pulse until smooth (add a splash of water if needed). Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Remove peppers from slow-cooker and transfer to serving plates. Top with a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve over mixed greens and top the entire dish with herbed yogurt. Enjoy!
This meal has 54 reviews
These were great! The only thing i'd say is to not use frozen corn in them but canned corn because the frozen corn gets pretty dry and tough.
These did seem like just giant taco meatballs, but the guy loved them so it is what it is. Next time I'll add more vegetables to the mix, or maybe sub tomato paste & broth instead of water. How cool would it be to have an egg inside each meatball? Like a weird version of shakshouka. Maybe it's impossible. Sadly, only was able to cram 6 peppers in to the slow cooker!
Needs RICE!!! Had so much water inside of pepper. Used ground beef instead of pork, and used the oven method of cooking.
Added a can of diced tomatoes with oil and garlic to the bottom of the crockpot instead of water. Tasted amazing! The filling for the peppers is magnificent!
Very nice. Made in oven.
Made this in the oven, probably would have been better in the slow cooker. The flavor was good and I liked the herbed yogurt.