4th of July Cheeseburgers
with watermelon and potato chips
Celebrate 4th of July with this classic American dish. Enjoy with your favorite condiments and toppings. Vegetarians can look forward to a Mediterranean style Portabello burger. As for sides, we're keeping it simple and all-American with sliced watermelon and potato chips!
- Red onions - 1, 1/4 cup diced, rest sliced
- Ground beef - 1 1/2 lbs
- Ketchup - 1 Tbsp ((Plus more for serving))
- Garlic powder - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Worcestershire - 1 Tbsp
- American cheese - 4 slices
- Burger buns - 4
- Beefsteak tomatoes - 1 to 2, for burger toppings
- Green lettuce - 1 small head, for burger toppings
- Watermelon (small) - 1, sliced
- Mustard - for serving
- Potato chips - , for serving
- Onions - Dice / Slice thinly for topping
- Burger - Using hands, mix together ground meat, diced onions, ketchup, garlic powder, salt, and Worcestershire. Form into four 1" (2.5 cm) thick patties, and make a depression in the center with your thumb.
- Brush patties with some cooking oil and salt and pepper. Heat up grill or grill pan over high heat. Grill burgers for about 7 minutes for medium-rare, turning once. Add cheese in the last minute or two of cooking. (10 minutes for medium; 12 to 15 minutes for well-done)
- Toast buns on grill or in a 400F (204C) degree oven for about 3 to 4 minutes. Prep burger toppings and sides - tomatoes, lettuce, and watermelon.
- Enjoy with desired toppings and condiments and slices of watermelon and potato chips!
Very delicious! I made them as sliders on Hawaiian rolls. Would definitely make again! Tasted just like meatloaf!0 Helpful
Hubby and I enjoyed these yesterday - the burgers were really flavorful - I did form them into patties and put them in the fridge for a couple hours before cooking (inside in a frying pan).0 Helpful
Amazing burgers. Lots of flavor. My husband calls them mini meat loaves.0 Helpful
These were great and the watermelon on the side was a great match. We will prepare this again!0 Helpful
Make sure you really mix up the meat well... mine had salty pockets. It was so cold it hurt my hands and I was a bit lazy!0 Helpful
So flavorful and delicious! I've never made a successful burger before and this was a total home run for my two girls and husband.0 Helpful