Turkish Pitas with Hummus and Mushrooms
cucumber and tomato salad
This quick dinner is inspired by traditional Turkish flatbreads (Lahmacun). We've added our own vegetarian twist by using savory mushrooms, creamy hummus and toasted pine nuts. Serve the salad on the side or pile it on top of the finished pitas.
Turkish Pitas with Hummus and Mushrooms:
- Pine nuts (opt) - 2 Tbsp
- Allspice - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Mushrooms, any button variety - 3/4 lb , chopped
- Shallots - 1 , minced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced
- Parsley, fresh, flat-leaf - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Pita bread (sub any variety of flatbread) - 4 rounds
- Hummus - 8 oz
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Paprika Vinaigrette:
- Cucumbers, medium - 1 , chopped
- Tomatoes, large - 1 , chopped
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 3 oz
- Toast pine nuts (if making the hummus pasta on Thursday night, toast pine nuts for both nights at the same time) in a frying pan over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, until pine nuts are golden and fragrant. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine allspice, paprika (the portion for the pita) and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes / Parsley - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Make salad dressing by combining paprika, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup and oil. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add shallots and garlic and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute. Add mushrooms and season with some salt and pepper. Saute until mushrooms are tender and beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add spice mix and saute until mushrooms are evenly coated, about 1 minute more.
- Cover pita rounds with a slightly damp paper towel (to prevent drying out) and microwave just until warm, 20 to 30 seconds. Using a spatula or large spoon, spread each pita round with hummus. Top evenly with mushrooms and sprinkle with parsley and toasted pine nuts. Squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Toss cucumbers, tomatoes and greens with salad dressing.
- Use a pizza slicer to cut pitas into wedges or serve whole and roll up like wraps. Enjoy with salad on the side!