Turkish-Spiced Lamb Chops
cucumber and tomato salad
Turkish-Spiced Lamb Chops:
- Allspice - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Rack of lamb, French and trimmed - 2
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Paprika Vinaigrette:
- Cucumbers, medium - 1 , chopped
- Tomatoes, large - 1 , chopped
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 3 oz
- Make spice mix - Combine allspice, paprika (the portion for the lamb) and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Rack of lamb - Slice every other chop. Season with salt and pepper and rub outside of chops with spice mix. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- If making lamb on grill: Preheat grill to 450F (232C) degrees, keeping two-zones of heat - one part on higher heat and another part on lower heat. Clean grates and rub with oil. Add lamb over direct heat. Sear on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes and then move to lower heat. Close grill cover and cook until 130F (54C) degrees for med-rare (2 to 3 minutes), 140F (60C) degrees for medium (4 to 6 min), and 150F (66C) degrees for well-done (6 to 8 min). Remove from grill and let rest, covered, for 5 minutes.
- If making lamb in oven: (Watch this video) Preheat oven to 400F (204C) degrees. Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then lamb to heated oil. Sear on each side for 3 minutes and then transfer to oven, cooking for another 6 to 10 minutes in the oven, until 130F (54C) degrees for med-rare (2 to 3 minutes), 140F (60C) degrees for medium (4 to 6 min), and 150F (66C) degrees for well-done (6 to 8 min). Remove from oven and let rest, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Make salad dressing by combining paprika, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup and oil. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Toss cucumbers, tomatoes and greens with salad dressing. Serve lamb with salad on the side and enjoy!