Turkish Flatbread with Hummus and Lamb
cucumber and tomato salad
This dinner is inspired by traditional Turkish flatbreads topped with spiced ground meat (Lahmacun). We've added our own twist by using pizza dough as the base plus creamy hummus and toasted pine nuts. Serve the salad on the side or pile it on top of the finished flatbreads.
Turkish Flatbread with Hummus and Lamb:
- Pizza dough, gluten-free - 1 lb
- Pine nuts (opt) - 2 Tbsp
- Allspice - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Shallots - 1 , minced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced
- Parsley, fresh, flat-leaf - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Lamb, ground (sub ground turkey, beef, or pork) - 1 lb
- Hummus - 8 oz
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Paprika Vinaigrette:
- Cucumbers, medium - 1 , chopped
- Tomatoes, large - 1 , chopped
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 3 oz
- Pizza dough - If you are making pizza dough from a gluten-free mix, ideally make this the night before so it has time to rest. Take out 30 minutes before baking and cover in some more flour. This will make the dough more pliable. (Should be done 1 day ahead)
- Toast pine nuts (if making the hummus pasta on Thursday night, toast pine nuts for both nights at the same time) in a frying pan over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, until pine nuts are golden and fragrant. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine allspice, paprika (the portion for the flatbread) and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes / Parsley - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Preheat oven to 425F (218C) degrees. Position top rack so it's at the very top.
- While oven is heating, make salad dressing by combining paprika, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup and oil. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add shallots, garlic and spice mix and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute. Add lamb and season with some salt and pepper. Saute until cooked through and no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes. Strain any excess liquid or grease out of pan.
- Brush sheet pan with olive oil. Using hands, stretch out pizza dough to cover pan - it should be pretty easy to do if you let the dough rest. Brush the border with a bit of olive oil and then bake on top rack until crust is golden brown and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove pizza dough from oven and use a spatula or large spoon to spread with hummus. Top with lamb mixture and sprinkle with parsley and toasted pine nuts. Squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Toss cucumbers, tomatoes and greens with salad dressing.
- Use a pizza slicer to cut flatbread into even pieces. Enjoy with salad on the side!