Turkish Pitas with Hummus and Lambcucumber and tomato salad
This quick dinner is inspired by traditional Turkish flatbreads topped with spiced ground meat (Lahmacun). We've added our own twist with creamy hummus and toasted pine nuts. Serve the salad on the side or pile it on top of the finished pitas.
- Pine nuts (opt) - 2 Tbsp
- Allspice - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Shallots - 1, minced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Parsley, fresh, flat-leaf - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Lamb, ground (sub ground turkey, beef or pork) - 1 lb
- Pita bread (sub any variety of flatbread) - 4 rounds
- Hummus - 8 oz
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Cucumbers, medium - 1, chopped
- Tomatoes, large - 1, chopped
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, dijon - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 3 oz
- Toast pine nuts (if making the hummus pasta on Thursday night, toast pine nuts for both nights at the same time) in a frying pan over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, until pine nuts are golden and fragrant. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine allspice, paprika (the portion for the pita) and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes / Parsley - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make salad dressing by combining paprika, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup and oil. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add shallots, garlic and spice mix and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute. Add lamb and season with some salt and pepper. Saute until cooked through and no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes. Strain any excess liquid or grease out of pan.
- Cover pita rounds with a slightly damp paper towel (to prevent drying out) and microwave just until warm, 20 to 30 seconds. Using a spatula or large spoon, spread each pita round with hummus. Top evenly with lamb mixture and sprinkle with parsley and toasted pine nuts. Squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Toss cucumbers, tomatoes and greens with salad dressing.
- Use a pizza slicer to cut pitas into wedges or serve whole and roll up like wraps. Enjoy with salad on the side!
This meal has 64 reviews
My husband especially loved this.
One of my favorites!!!
Super easy weeknight meal
I made it with Pork. Super good!
Yum! Very quick meal which is a big bonus :)
Delicious, and gluten free pizza dough made great "naan"!