Turkish Pitas with Hummus and Lamb
cucumber and tomato salad
- Pine nuts (opt) - 2 Tbsp
- Allspice - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Shallots - 1, minced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Parsley, fresh, flat-leaf - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Lamb, ground (sub ground turkey, beef, or pork) - 1 lb
- Pita bread (sub any variety of flatbread) - 4 rounds
- Hummus - 8 oz
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Cucumbers, medium - 1, chopped
- Tomatoes, large - 1, chopped
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 3 oz
- Toast pine nuts (if making the hummus pasta on Thursday night, toast pine nuts for both nights at the same time) in a frying pan over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, until pine nuts are golden and fragrant. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine allspice, paprika (the portion for the pita) and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes / Parsley - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make salad dressing by combining paprika, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup and oil. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add shallots, garlic and spice mix and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute. Add lamb and season with some salt and pepper. Saute until cooked through and no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes. Strain any excess liquid or grease out of pan.
- Cover pita rounds with a slightly damp paper towel (to prevent drying out) and microwave just until warm, 20 to 30 seconds. Using a spatula or large spoon, spread each pita round with hummus. Top evenly with lamb mixture and sprinkle with parsley and toasted pine nuts. Squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Toss cucumbers, tomatoes and greens with salad dressing.
- Use a pizza slicer to cut pitas into wedges or serve whole and roll up like wraps. Enjoy with salad on the side!
Pretty good, was enjoyable but the cinnamon was a bit odd. I don't love meals with this many pre-made parts so prominent (the pita, the hummus). Left out pine nuts bc of allergy.0 Helpful
Used ground beef but I think Lamb would've been even better. Still giving it 5 stars! This was delicious. Used a GF pizza dough recipe off of frugal farm girl site and it made the perfect flatbread for these. Pine nuts were what made the dish in our opinion so don't leave them out! Yummm!!!0 Helpful
Subbed mozzarella and ground beef0 Helpful
Use lamb. This is so good! We ended up with leftover spinach and lamb and feta this week which made a perfect omelette.0 Helpful
This was quite good! The salad was unremarkable but the pitas were very tasty. Subbed sunflower seeds for the more expensive pine nuts.0 Helpful
My husband especially loved this.0 Helpful