Taco Salad with Avocado
black bean salsa / cilantro-lime dressing
Cilantro and lime go the distance in this fresh dinner salad, serving as a marinade for black bean salsa and dressing for the finished dish. Tortilla chips add crunch!
- Corn kernels, frozen or fresh (1 ear corn = ~1 cup / 165 g) - 2 cups
- Lettuce, boston or romaine - 5 oz, chopped
- Tomatoes, large - 1, chopped
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cilantro-lime dressing (ingredients listed separately) - ~2/3 cup
- Tortilla chips - 4 cups
- Cheese, Mexican blend - 4 oz
- Cilantro, fresh - 1/4 cup
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Limes - 2, juice of
- Oil, cooking - 1/4 cup
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, chopped
- Shallots - 1, minced
- Black beans (1 can = 14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Cilantro-lime dressing (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/3 cup
- Make dressing - Place cilantro leaves, garlic, lime juice, oil, honey and cumin into a food processor and puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make black bean salsa - Chop bell peppers and shallots. Drain and rinse beans. Toss bell peppers, shallots and beans in 1/3 of the dressing (reserve the remaining 2/3 to dress the salad) and marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Corn - If using fresh corn, shave kernels off cobs. If using frozen corn, defrost in the microwave. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add corn and saute until corn begins to char and blacken in spots, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Assemble salads by topping lettuce with black bean salsa, corn, tomatoes, avocados and cheese. Add dressing and crumble tortilla chips over the top just before serving. Enjoy!
Very bland, especially the dressing. I would maybe add some jalapeño or chili powder if I made it again.0 Helpful
I think adding some red onion and jalapeños would add a nice needed bite to this dish.0 Helpful
Amazing and super flavorful!0 Helpful
I added pumpkin seeds and would have loved a little cojita or queso fresco if I had some.0 Helpful
Used ground beef.0 Helpful
Tasty! Loved the chips for crunch. Hubs put it in a wrap and was very happy, too.0 Helpful