Shrimp and Avocado Taco Salad
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Corn kernels, frozen or fresh (1 ear corn = ~1 cup / 165 g) - 2 cups
- Lettuce, boston or romaine - 5 oz , chopped
- Tomatoes, large - 1 , chopped
- Avocados - 1 , chopped
- Black beans (1 can = 14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cilantro-lime dressing (ingredients listed separately) - ~2/3 cup
- Tortilla chips - 4 cups
- Cilantro, fresh - 1/4 cup
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Limes - 3 , juice of
- Oil, cooking - 1/2 cup
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
Make dressing - Place cilantro leaves, garlic, lime juice, oil, honey and cumin into a food processor and puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Marinate shrimp - Toss shrimp in 1/3 of the dressing (reserve the remaining 2/3 to dress the salad) and marinate for 30 minutes.
Corn - If using fresh corn, shave kernels off cobs. If using frozen corn, defrost in the microwave. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add shrimp (discard marinade) and saute for 4 to 6 minutes, until shrimp are pink and cooked through. Transfer shrimp to a bowl.
Return pan to medium-high heat and add corn. Cook until corn begins to char and blacken in spots, 2 to 4 minutes. Add black beans and cook just until beans are heated through.
Assemble salads by topping lettuce with corn and black beans, tomatoes, avocados and shrimp. Add dressing and crumble tortilla chips over the top just before serving. Enjoy!