Chipotle Black Beans a La Diabla
with leftover tri-color slaw
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Bell peppers, green - 1, chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1, chopped
- Chipotle peppers (usually found canned in adobo sauce) - 1, chopped finely
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Avocados, large - 1, chopped
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Crushed tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Pepitas - 1/4 cup
- Tortillas, flour and taco-sized - 8
- Limes - 1, sliced into wedges
- Leftover tri-color slaw - ~4 cups
- Heat a saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and cooking oil and then onions to heated oil with some salt. Saute for ~3 minutes, until softened.
- Next add garlic, bell peppers, and cumin. Saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add chipotles and crushed tomatoes (If you’re worried about heat at all, start with half - or even less - of the chopped chipotles. You can always add more heat later). Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. If the pan ever looks too dry, just add some water (or white wine if you have some open!).
- Next add in black beans and saute for another 3 to 5 minutes, just enough to warm up beans. Finish with pepitas.
- Warm tortillas according to package instructions.
- Enjoy saute with tortillas, avocado, lime wedges, and leftover slaw on the side. You can try to make tacos or just break up the tortillas to scoop up all the goodness. If you have creme fraiche leftover from the week, feel free to add some to your saute for extra creaminess.
Very good! I added salt, water/wine, and a teaspoon of brown sugar.0 Helpful
Interesting flavors! No complaints from hubby, 1 year old and 3 year old.0 Helpful
My family loved this dish, I served it with Jasmine rice and it was amazing!!!!!0 Helpful
Simple and delicious! I only used half of the crushed tomato portion and glad I did! Next time I will add more than 2-3 chipotle peppers for an extra kick. I also changed the dressing for the slaw - I used a bagged broccoli slaw mix and blended 1 avocado, 1/2 lime juice, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/4 cup water, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 3 tbsp cilantro.0 Helpful
I didn't add enough diabla, but it was very tasty.0 Helpful
Interesting take. Not exactly mexican. More like italian mexican, ha ha. I would put in 1/2 the tomatoes so it's a little less soupy. Other than that, delicious!0 Helpful