Chipotle Shrimp a La Diabla
with leftover tri-color slaw
Chipotle Shrimp a La Diabla:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Onions - 1 , chopped
- Bell peppers, green - 1 , chopped
- Chipotle peppers (usually found canned in adobo sauce) - 1 , chopped finely
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined (if kosher, sub sliced chicken breasts) - 1 lb
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Crushed tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Tortillas, flour and taco-sized - 8
- Limes - 1 , sliced into wedges
- Leftover tri-color slaw - ~4 cups
- Heat a saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and cooking oil and then onions to heated oil with some salt. Saute for ~3 minutes, until softened.
- Next add garlic, bell peppers, and cumin. Saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add chipotles and crushed tomatoes (If you’re worried about heat at all, start with half - or even less - of the chopped chipotles. You can always add more heat later). Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. If the pan ever looks too dry, just add some water (or white wine if you have some open!).
- Next add in shrimp and cook until pink and opaque, another 4 to 6 minutes depending on the size of the shrimp.
- Warm tortillas according to package instructions.
- Enjoy shrimp with tortillas and lime wedges and leftover slaw on the side. You can try to make tacos or just break up the tortillas to scoop up all the goodness. If you have creme fraiche leftover from the week, feel free to spoon that onto your shrimp for extra creaminess.