Latin Spice-Rubbed Pork Chops
with tri-color slaw
Smarts: We're doubling the slaw to make tomorrow night's dinner even faster.
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Pork chops, boneless - 1 1/2 lbs
- Jicama - 1/2 lb, grated or shredded
- Cabbage, red - 12 oz, sliced
- Basil - 2 to 3 sprigs, sliced
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 1/4 cup
- Nectarines (sub peaches) - 3/4 lb, sliced
- Pepitas - 1/2 cup
- Jicama / Cabbage - Prep as directed. This makes enough for two days of slaw. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Basil - Prep as directed. This makes enough for two days of slaw.
- Make dressing for slaw - Whisk together red wine vinegar, honey, and cooking oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make slaw - Toss jicama and cabbage with dressing. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Season pork chops - Mix together coriander, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Cover pork chops in spice mix and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Nectarines - Slice.
- Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush with some oil and then place pork chops on heated oil. Sear on each side for ~3 minutes. For thin pork chops, this should be enough heat to cook them through. If you’re using thicker pork chops, lower heat and cover with a piece of foil until pork reaches 145F (63C) degrees. When done, let pork rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.
- Add basil, nectarines, and pepitas to slaw and serve with pork chops. Remember to save half the slaw for tomorrow night.
Good flavoring on cubed pork.0 Helpful
So surprisingly good! I've had trouble making flavorful tempeh in the past-- this was great. And I sold it as "tempeh nuggets" to my 4 y/o and let him dip them in ketchup...0 Helpful
Definitely high marks for the spice rub. That was delicious and I'm going to make it again tonight! The slaw was ok - I also feel like these recipes have way too much dressing and I should just 1/2 the recipe from the start. The slaw was soupy and I didn't even put all the dressing in! Also, I used white cabbage before that is what I had in the fridge and that was a mistake because you need the purple color. I also didn't chop the nectarines correctly - they should be julianned - not sliced.0 Helpful
We loved the seasoning on the pork chops. I didn't think I'd like the slaw but it ended up being refreshing. Both the hubby and I enjoyed this meal. I also liked how quick it was to make.0 Helpful
Really loved the seasoning on this. I'm not a huge fan of pork chops, but this was really good. Cabbage slaw wasn't such a success. Seemed a bit bland.0 Helpful
My husband liked it and I thought it was ok. I think my pork would have been a lot better had I tenderized and seasoned it the night before. And, I really liked the slaw but the basil in it wasn't really a plus for me. (I will definitely make the slaw again; I'll just leave the basil out 😉!)0 Helpful