with fennel, green beans, and capers
This salad is packed with lots of omega-3's from salmon and walnuts, and basil gives it an extra boost of flavor.
Salmon Salad with Fennel and Green Beans:
- Salmon - 1 lb
- Thyme, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 tsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp + 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Basil - 2 to 3 sprigs , sliced
- Fennel, small - 1/2 bulb , sliced
- Green beans - 1/2 lb , trimmed
- Mushrooms, button - 4 oz , sliced
- Lettuce, butter - 2 heads , chopped
- Tomatoes, large - 1 , chopped
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 Tbsp
- Olive oil - 4 Tbsp
- Walnuts, crushed - 2 oz
- Capers (opt) - 2 Tbsp
- Salmon - Rinse and dry. Prep marinade by whisking together dried thyme, balsamic vinegar, aminos, first part of Dijon mustard, and first part of cooking oil. Coat salmon in marinade and let sit for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
- Basil / Fennel / Green beans / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together red wine vinegar, second part of Dijon mustard, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- If cooking salmon on stovetop - Heat a skillet or non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add second part of cooking oil and then salmon (reserving marinade) to heated oil. Sear on each side for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden. Lower heat to medium, pour in the marinade, cover loosely with foil and cook for another 3 to 8 minutes, depending on thickness of salmon. Salmon is done at 140F (60C).
- If cooking salmon on a grill - Heat grill up to 500F (260C). Place a sheet of foil (enough to fit all the salmon) over direct heat and coat with second part of cooking oil. You can also grill salmon directly on grates but some people find it harder to flip the fish this way - totally up to you. Sear salmon on each side (on foil or grates) for ~3 minutes with grill cover closed. Move to indirect heat, close grill, and cook for another 3 to 6 minutes, until salmon is done at 140F (60C).
- Place trimmed green beans in a microwave-safe dish. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, until tender but still crunchy.
- Gently break up salmon with a fork. Toss salmon, lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, green beans, fennel, walnuts, capers, and basil with vinaigrette. Season to taste with more salt and pepper and enjoy your hearty salad!