Grilled Rosemary Bisteca with Grilled Veggies
and sun-dried tomato pesto
Smarts: We double up on the grilled veggies for an easy panini tomorrow.
- Ribeye or New York Strip Steak - 1 1/4 lbs ((Should be about 1" thick))
- Red peppers - 3
- Zucchini - 4
- Eggplant - 1 ((1 Italian eggplant or 2 Chinese eggplants))
- Cooking oil - for brushing
- Rosemary - 2 sprigs
- Sun-dried tomato pesto - ~1/3 cup ((Ingredients listed separately))
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, peeled
- Sun-dried tomatoes in oil - 3 Tbsp
- Parsley - 1/4 bunch
- Olive oil - 1/4 cup
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Heirloom tomatoes - 3/4 lb, chopped or sliced
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Steak - Season generously with salt and pepper (this is the key to a delicious steak!). Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Red peppers / Zucchini / Eggplant - This makes enough for tomorrow’s dinner. Core red peppers and slice in half. Slice the zucchini and eggplant into 1/2” (1.25 cm) thick slices. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Set up items for grilling - Sprinkle steak with more salt and pepper. Try to have steak out of the fridge for ~30 minutes before grilling. Brush some cooking oil on veggies and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place onto a sheet pan.
- Make pesto - This makes enough for tomorrow. In a food processor, pulse together pine nuts, garlic cloves, sun-dried tomatoes, parsley, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside half for tomorrow. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Chop or slice into 1/2” (1.25 cm) thick pieces.
- If making steak and veggies on grill: Preheat grill to 500F (260C) degrees. Clean grates and brush with some cooking oil. Place steak and veggies over direct heat. Set sprig of rosemary on top of steak. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side and veggies for 3 to 4 minutes each side, with the cover closed. Veggies will be ready to be moved off the grill at this point, but check to see if they need longer. Move steak to indirect heat and cook until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F (54C) degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F (60C) degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F (71C) degrees (~10 minutes).
- If making steak and veggies on stovetop / oven: Heat oven to 425F (218C) degrees. Heat grill pan over medium-high heat and brush with some cooking oil. Place steak and veggies onto hot grill pan. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side and veggies for 3 to 4 minutes each side. Transfer steak to sheet pan and place rosemary on top; finish cooking in the oven. This should be ~4 minutes for medium-rare; ~7 minutes for medium; and 10 minutes for well-done. If the veggies are not done at this point, lower heat and cover with foil and cook until they’re done to your liking.
- Save half the veggies and half the pesto for tomorrow’s dinner.
- Toss tomatoes with balsamic vinegar and a light sprinkle of salt.
- Top steak and veggies with pesto and enjoy with summery tomatoes.
Easy, summer-y and delicious!0 Helpful
Loved the pesto, though.0 Helpful
Didn't care for pesto at all. Not fans of eggplant, but we ate most of it. Zuchinni was delicious and red pepper was pretty good too.0 Helpful
Loved this. The pesto was very good and the veggies were too.0 Helpful
Fantastic! Loved the veggies on the grill. My husband makes a mean steak, but we were pleased with the simple seasoning.0 Helpful
Half the veggies, double tomato, add grilled onions and mushrooms to tomato. Add more pine nuts and BASIL to pesto. Also more sun dried tomato0 Helpful