Mussels and Chorizo
with valencia orange & mixed green salad
We featured this dish when we took our members on vacation to Spain last August. For many, it was their first time making mussels and they loved how easy it was, so we're bringing it back for Favorites Week, hoping that lots more of you discover a love for cooking mussels!
Valencia Orange and Mixed Green Salad:
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb , diced
- Sherry vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp ((Sub red wine vinegar))
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Sweetener - 2 tsp ((Like sugar, honey, maple syrup))
- Valencia oranges - 3 , segmented
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
Mussels and Chorizo:
- Mussels - 1 1/2 lbs , cleaned and debearded ((Most mussels are usually debearded by the fishmonger these days))
- Parsley - 1/4 bunch , chopped
- Tomatoes - 2 , diced
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Chorizo - 1/2 lb
- Chicken stock - 1 cup
- White wine - 1/4 cup
- Lemon - 1/2 , juice of
- French baguette - 1/2
- Mussels - Clean and debeard if not done by your fishmonger. Scrub and soak in a bowl of water. We have not been able to find not-debearded mussels, but here’s a demo from The Kitchn. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Dice shallots and place into a bowl. Add sherry (or red wine) vinegar and then whisk in oil. Season to taste with your choice of sweetener and / or salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Parsley / Tomatoes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add oil and then chorizo and tomatoes to heated oil. Break up with a wooden spoon and saute for ~4 minutes.
- Add in mussels, stock, and wine. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 minutes until mussels have opened up. If there are any that haven’t opened, just simply discard them.
- While mussels are cooking, segment oranges. Toss vinaigrette with greens and oranges.
- Finish mussels and chorizo with a squeeze of lemon juice, and garnish with parsley. Enjoy with torn up bread and valencia orange salad on the side.