Panko-Breaded Chicken "Nuggets"with butternut squash and sweet potato soup
Panko makes these chicken nuggets light and crunchy at the same time. You'll want to dunk them into your sweet and creamy butternut squash and sweet potato soup
- Butternut squash - 1, cubed (video)
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, peeled & cubed
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Vegetable broth - 1 quart
- Zucchini - 1 lb, quartered into wedges
- Cooking oil spray
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1 cup ((why panko?))
- Basil, oregano, or Italian seasonings - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Kosher salt - 1/2 tsp
- Egg - 1
- Preheat oven to 375F (191C) degrees
- Heat a >5 quart (4.73 liters) Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions with a dash of salt to heated oil. Saute for 3 minutes and then add in butternut squash and sweet potatoes with a bit more salt. Pour in enough stock / broth to cover all ingredients (if you don’t have enough stock, use water). Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes and then remove from heat
- Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray (or just brush on some oil)
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together panko with spices and seasonings. Whisk egg and pour over zucchini. Toss individual pieces in panko and place on sheet pan. Spray with some more cooking spray and bake in oven for 12 to 15 minutes
- Puree soup with an immersion blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve breaded zucchini with condiments of choice (like ranch dressing, mayonnaise, mustard – I’m sure you’ll find something in that fridge of yours!)
This meal has 76 reviews
Didn't make soup. Quick and easy.
dont overcook the chicken next time. Use cream instead of or in addition to stock to make it yummier.
Incredible turnout from this recipe! I felt like there was a bit too much onion in the soup, but I'm not a fan of onions anyway so I'm a bit biased. Even though I don't like onions, the soup turned out really well! The panko was great! Although it wasn't exactly the best as leftovers (as the panko got a bit mushy) but upon making it, it was as really good (also depends on the condiment). I would also like to point out that the recipe took a long longer to make than I expected! That was probably because I didn't prep anything and I'm not experienced in the kitchen at all.
Better than I thought it would be. Not crispy, but I didn't expect it to be. I did not make the soup because I used leftover fried cauliflower rice as a side. Added garlic and onion powder to the "breading" mixture.
The soup was a little too sweet for our tastes (from the sweet potato) but the flavour was otherwise great. Loved the chicken!
Loved both. I ended up leaving the nuggz in the oven a bit longer to crisp them up a bit more.