Panko-Breaded Chicken "Nuggets"with butternut squash and sweet potato soup
Panko makes these chicken nuggets light and crunchy at the same time. You'll want to dunk them into your sweet and creamy butternut squash and sweet potato soup
- Butternut squash - 1, cubed (video)
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, peeled & cubed
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 1 quart
- Skin/bone-less chicken breasts - 1 lb, sliced
- Cooking oil spray
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1 cup ((why panko?))
- Basil, oregano, or Italian seasonings - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Kosher salt - 1/2 tsp
- Egg - 1
- Preheat oven to 375F (191C) degrees
- Heat a >5 quart (4.73 liters) Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions with a dash of salt to heated oil. Saute for 3 minutes and then add in butternut squash and sweet potatoes with a bit more salt. Pour in enough stock / broth to cover all ingredients (if you don’t have enough stock, use water). Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes and then remove from heat
- Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray (or just brush on some oil)
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together panko with spices and seasonings. Whisk egg and pour over chicken. Toss individual pieces in panko and place on sheet pan. Spray with some more cooking spray and bake in oven for 12 to 15 minutes
- Puree soup with an immersion blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve “nuggets” with condiments of choice (like BBQ sauce, ketchup, mustard – I’m sure you’ll find something in that fridge of yours!)
This meal has 76 reviews
We made this with "no salt added" chicken broth. The soup was a little bland. I would add some spices to liven it up if I made it again. The chicken was really good.
Soup was good. Nuggets a bit bland.
Didn't get to the chicken (it hadn't thawed by dinner time) but the soup was delicious.
Butternut squash soup was delicious; the zucchini in place of chicken strips was something I was really excited about but did not come together as expected or hoped. Without ketchup and mustard, they wouldn't have been very good (and I'm not one of those ketchup people either).
We did not make the soup, but the nuggets were a hit!
The soup was amazing! Can't wait to make this again.