Panko-Breaded Chicken "Nuggets"with butternut squash and sweet potato soup
Panko makes these chicken nuggets light and crunchy at the same time. You'll want to dunk them into your sweet and creamy butternut squash and sweet potato soup
- Butternut squash - 1, cubed (video)
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, peeled & cubed
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 1 quart
- Skin/bone-less chicken breasts - 1 lb, sliced
- Cooking oil spray
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1 cup ((why panko?))
- Basil, oregano, or Italian seasonings - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Kosher salt - 1/2 tsp
- Egg - 1
- Preheat oven to 375F (191C) degrees
- Heat a >5 quart (4.73 liters) Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions with a dash of salt to heated oil. Saute for 3 minutes and then add in butternut squash and sweet potatoes with a bit more salt. Pour in enough stock / broth to cover all ingredients (if you don’t have enough stock, use water). Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes and then remove from heat
- Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray (or just brush on some oil)
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together panko with spices and seasonings. Whisk egg and pour over chicken. Toss individual pieces in panko and place on sheet pan. Spray with some more cooking spray and bake in oven for 12 to 15 minutes
- Puree soup with an immersion blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve “nuggets” with condiments of choice (like BBQ sauce, ketchup, mustard – I’m sure you’ll find something in that fridge of yours!)
This meal has 76 reviews
I loved the soup and how easy it was to make. The tips on how to prep the squash were very helpful. I used 'Better then Bouillon' for the stock. For the chicken I didn't make sure the seasonings were evenly distributed throughout the Panko. Next time I will mix the seasonings first and then add the Panko. I followed the site's advice and tenderized them first with s&p and a fork. The chicken was so tender and perfect!
I added a little cinnamon to the soup.
Everyone loved the soup (I added extra spices), including the kiddos. Chicken was good, run of the mill chicken. Nothing too spectacular, but nice and homey.
The nuggets were much more flavorful than the soup. I only cooked the nuggets for 13 minutes-- would probably cook longer next time. Liked that the soup was creamy without having to use any dairy.
The chicken nuggets were delicious but the soup wasn't very good. To improve it I would recommend draining some of the excess water from the soup before you puree it, otherwise it might not be creamy enough for dipping. Also I ended up adding a lot of cumin, paprika, cinnamon, and pepper as recommended by Jennifer.
Added cumin, paprika and cinnamon to the soup. Phenomenal! Nuggets were good too.