Panko-Breaded Chicken "Nuggets"with butternut squash and sweet potato soup
Panko makes these chicken nuggets light and crunchy at the same time. You'll want to dunk them into your sweet and creamy butternut squash and sweet potato soup
- Butternut squash - 1, cubed (video)
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, peeled & cubed
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Vegetable broth - 1 quart
- Zucchini - 1 lb, quartered into wedges
- Cooking oil spray
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1 cup ((why panko?))
- Basil, oregano, or Italian seasonings - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Kosher salt - 1/2 tsp
- Egg - 1
- Preheat oven to 375F (191C) degrees
- Heat a >5 quart (4.73 liters) Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions with a dash of salt to heated oil. Saute for 3 minutes and then add in butternut squash and sweet potatoes with a bit more salt. Pour in enough stock / broth to cover all ingredients (if you don’t have enough stock, use water). Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes and then remove from heat
- Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray (or just brush on some oil)
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together panko with spices and seasonings. Whisk egg and pour over zucchini. Toss individual pieces in panko and place on sheet pan. Spray with some more cooking spray and bake in oven for 12 to 15 minutes
- Puree soup with an immersion blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve breaded zucchini with condiments of choice (like ranch dressing, mayonnaise, mustard – I’m sure you’ll find something in that fridge of yours!)
This meal has 76 reviews
Simple but good. I would add the sweet potatoes to the early prep
Everything was just okay, very bland as is. Had to spice things up quite a bit but after that it was pretty good. Probably won't make it again but I'm excited to try the mac and cheese tomorrow with the soup.
I'm a big fan of the soup; the nuggets are just fine. For the soup, I had to add 3 more cups of water to cover the veggies. After it cooked, I removed and set aside two cups of liquid before pureeing. After we ate and I set aside 1.5 cups for tomorrow's mac 'n' cheese, I added 1cup of the saved soup liquid back in to our remaining leftovers since the soup seemed to thicken as it cooled and I wanted to stretch the leftovers farther. The nuggets definitely improve with a tasty condiment for dipping. Prep alone took me 40 minutes and I'm no slouch with a knife. The cooking process took ~50 minutes because it took awhile for the soup to boil (I need to crank up the stove higher next time). Boiling and baking times were as advertised, thankfully.
I was a little wary of the chicken nuggets because of the fast food connotation, but they were absolutely delicious! Perhaps they should be renamed Breaded Chicken Cutlets, or something that represents a more mature take on the chicken nugget. I used barbecue sauce for dipping the chicken, so I had to add that to my shopping list. The soup was also fantastic! I followed the directions given in the recipe to spice the soup and enjoyed the flavors quite a bit!
Soup was great! I used homemade chicken broth. The nuggets were excellent. I just seasoned the breadcrumbs and tasted them before coating the chicken. I used some grated parm.
Very good and very kid friendly.