Panko-Breaded Chicken "Nuggets"with butternut squash and sweet potato soup
Panko makes these chicken nuggets light and crunchy at the same time. You'll want to dunk them into your sweet and creamy butternut squash and sweet potato soup
- Butternut squash - 1, cubed (video)
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, peeled & cubed
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 1 quart
- Skin/bone-less chicken breasts - 1 lb, sliced
- Cooking oil spray
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1 cup ((why panko?))
- Basil, oregano, or Italian seasonings - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Kosher salt - 1/2 tsp
- Egg - 1
- Preheat oven to 375F (191C) degrees
- Heat a >5 quart (4.73 liters) Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions with a dash of salt to heated oil. Saute for 3 minutes and then add in butternut squash and sweet potatoes with a bit more salt. Pour in enough stock / broth to cover all ingredients (if you don’t have enough stock, use water). Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes and then remove from heat
- Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray (or just brush on some oil)
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together panko with spices and seasonings. Whisk egg and pour over chicken. Toss individual pieces in panko and place on sheet pan. Spray with some more cooking spray and bake in oven for 12 to 15 minutes
- Puree soup with an immersion blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve “nuggets” with condiments of choice (like BBQ sauce, ketchup, mustard – I’m sure you’ll find something in that fridge of yours!)
This meal has 76 reviews
The juice was moist and soft but I didn't really care for the spices. I will try others the next time.
The nuggets were delicious. The soup was OK. I added some extra spices but it still felt like it was missing something. I'll make the chicken again but not the soup.
I messed with the soup recipe (sherry, nutmeg, butter, milk, s&p) and it came out really good (too watery, removed 2+c of stock & it was perfect. Chicken was excellent. Also made broccoli. A bit labor intensive, but prepped the day before & it came together easily.
Quick and easy
These were yummy. I was a bit lazy today, so I didn't make the soup. I served the chicken with roasted red potato wedges.
Not super hot on the soup but I really liked the chicken. I added some psrmesan cheese to the breadcrumb mixture.