Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken Wraps
with tomato and cucumber salad
We love slow cooker meals in the summer when it feels too hot to turn on an oven. Bone-in chicken is slow cooked (the bones add extra flavor!) and then used across two days. Tonight it's Mediterranean wraps with a great balsamic mayo and a side of tomato and cucumber salad.
- Tomatoes, small - 2, diced
- Italian seasonings - 1 1/2 tsp
- Basil, dried - 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken breasts, skin-on and bone-in (enough for Thursday's meal) - 2 1/2 lbs
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Flatbreads, pita, or naan - 4
- Arugula - 2 oz
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Mayonnaise (sub plain Greek yogurt) - 1/4 cup
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Parsley - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb, diced
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1/2 pint, halved
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Olive oil - 4 tsp
- Slow cook chicken - This makes enough for tomorrow’s meal. Dice tomatoes. Mix together Italian seasonings, dried basil, salt, and black pepper. Cover chicken in seasonings and transfer to slow cooker and cover with tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours. Once done, shred chicken, remove bones and skin, and let it sit in the liquid for at least 15 minutes. It’ll get a lot more flavor that way. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Parsley / Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make balsamic mayo - Mince garlic. Combine garlic with mayo and balsamic vinegar. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cucumbers - Prep as directed.
- Toast flatbreads.
- Toss tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, and shallots with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide balsamic mayo, arugula, and shredded chicken (remember to save half the chicken for tomorrow) across flatbreads and roll up. Enjoy with tomatoes and cucumbers on the side.
The wraps were great. We used naan and I subbed Greek yogurt for the mayo. The side salad was okay. My husband is a picky about dressings, so he used Italian dressing instead.0 Helpful
We did some substantial changes which we loved: - modified the tomato cucumber salad to include feta, chick peas, and salami - subbed homemade hummus for storebought baba ganoush - subbed tzatziki for the balsamic mayo - put the hummus in the pitas - put the tomato cucumber salad in the pitas0 Helpful
Dried out in the crock pot.0 Helpful
delish!!!! husband loved! perfect sandwich.. we added cheddar cheese instead of feta.0 Helpful
The balsamic mayo and the delicious naan that I used made this a winner in my book. Very tasty, while feeling relatively light and healthy!0 Helpful
To die for. We used naan with ours. Seriously though, if you're on the fence about whether or not to make this dish, MAKE IT. It's phenomenal! Can't wait to use my leftovers for the pasta salad recipe!0 Helpful