Pan-Seared Polenta with Olive-Caper Sauce
lemony kale and feta salad
We use pre-cooked polenta for a quick and delicious weeknight dinner and elevate it with an olive-caper tomato sauce. A lemony kale salad keeps this dinner fresh and light!
- Olives, kalamata, pitted - 1/2 cup , finely chopped
- Capers - 2 Tbsp , rinsed and drained
- Mushrooms, cremini (sub white button) - 6 oz , sliced
- Polenta, pre-cooked (often sold in 18 oz / 510 g tube) - 18 oz , cut into ½” / 1.25 cm slices
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Lemons - 1 , zest and juice of
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard, dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1/4 cup
- Cucumbers, medium - 1 , chopped
- Cheese, feta - 2 oz , crumbled
- Dill, fresh - 1 Tbsp
- Kale, baby (sub large kale leaves, thinly sliced or arugula) - 5 oz
Make vinaigrette - Zest and juice lemons. Combine with vinegar, sugar, and mustard. Whisk while slowly adding oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Olives / Capers - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Cucumbers / Mushrooms / Cheese / Dill - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Polenta - Cut into 1/2" (1.25 cm) slices. Season lightly with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
Add dill to vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper.
Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat and add first part of oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add polenta. Sear until golden brown and heated through, 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Transfer polenta to a plate and cover with foil so it stays warm.
Return skillet to heat. Add second part of oil and mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are tender and golden brown, ~5 minutes. Add olives, capers and tomato paste and stir to combine. Add stock slowly while whisking to combine with other ingredients. Bring to a boil and continue boiling until sauce thickens slightly, ~4 minutes.
Pour sauce over polenta. Toss kale with cucumbers, feta, and vinaigrette and top with some black pepper. Serve polenta with salad on the side and enjoy!