Salmon Burgerslemon-herb potato salad
For these burgers, finely grind a small amount of salmon to serve as a binder and keep the rest of the salmon in larger pieces so that the patties stay moist.
Smarts: If you have time, make the potato salad a day or two ahead - the flavors will develop in the fridge.
- Cucumbers, medium - 1, thinly sliced
- Shallots - 1, quartered
- Capers - 1 Tbsp, rinsed and drained
- Salmon, skinless and boneless - 1 1/2 lb
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Lettuce, small - 1 head, leaves separated
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Mustard, dijon, for serving - 1 Tbsp
- Green beans - 1/2 lb, trimmed
- Onions, red - 1/2, finely chopped
- Dill, fresh - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Potatoes, baby red (sub new potatoes) - 1 lb, scrubbed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1, juice of
- Green beans - Trim and cut into 1/2” (1.25 cm) pieces. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Shallots / Capers / Onions / Dill - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cook potatoes and green beans - Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add potatoes. Put the lid on the saucepan and reduce heat. Simmer until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork, ~10 minutes for small potatoes and up to 25 minutes for large potatoes. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add green beans and boil until tender. Drain and rinse with cool water. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make salad - Cut potatoes into 1” (2.5 cm) cubes. Toss potatoes and green beans with onions, dill, olive oil and lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make salmon patties - Combine shallots and roughly a quarter of the raw salmon in a food processor and puree until a smooth paste forms. Add the remaining salmon, capers, panko, salt and pepper. Pulse 6 to 8 times, just until everything is combined (small pieces of salmon should remain). Form mixture into patties. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce - Separate leaves. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a non-stick pan or skillet over medium heat and add oil. Sear salmon patties until golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- While salmon is cooking, toast hamburger buns.
- Top salmon burgers with mustard, lettuce leaves and cucumber slices. Serve potato salad on the side and enjoy!
This meal has 36 reviews
Potato salad wasn't too exciting - but we did use dill paste from a tube instead of fresh dill. Portabella burgers were great.
Bought the patties pre-made at my grocery store, which made this meal's prep even easier. Liked the simple potato salad!
I didn't make the burger but I made the potatoes. I'd like to try again but maybe a little more seasoning, a little less dill, onion, and lemon. I want to like it but it was really off on flavor.
Always love salmon burgers. The salad was absolutely not a hit, but I think I my oil may have been rancid, which was probably the problem. A bummer, because I love dill potato salad.
Just made the potato salad. Hubby liked it a lot. I thought it was ok
So far we have just made the green bean potato salad - it was delicious. We added a splash of red wine vinegar to add a little zip. This will be going in the regular rotation!