Gazpacho (Chilled Tomato Soup)
marinated shrimp with avocado and cucumbers
- Tomatoes, heirloom preferable - 2 lb
- Cucumbers, medium - 1
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Cucumbers, medium - 1, chopped
- Mint, fresh - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Green onions, green parts only - 1, chopped
- Lemons - 1, zest and juice
- Olive oil - 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Avocados - 2, chopped
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
- Make gazpacho - Roughly chop tomatoes and cucumbers (just the portion for the gazpacho). Combine tomatoes, cucumbers, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, cumin and red pepper flakes (if using) in a food processor or blender. Pulse until a nearly smooth (we like to stop while it still has a bit of texture). Season with some salt and pepper or add more chili flakes if you would like. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes so you can serve it chilled. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cucumbers (the portion for the shrimp) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make marinade - Mint / Green onions / Lemons - Prep as directed. Combine mint, green onions, lemon zest and juice, olive oil and some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cook and marinate shrimp - Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then shrimp to heated oil. Saute for 4 to 8 minutes, until shrimp are pink and cooked through. Transfer shrimp to a shallow bowl and toss with marinade. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes so you can serve it chilled. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Chop avocados.
- Toss cucumbers and avocados with marinated shrimp.
- Serve gazpacho chilled with marinated shrimp, cucumber and avocado on the side. Enjoy!
Made the soup and it was okay but nothing I would make again. Made a croissant, turkey, guacamole sandwich instead, which was great :).0 Helpful
I love the gazpacho but skipped the other accompanying pieces. Have done the soup several times - and with the heat wave this summer it saved me. Easy and delicious - would add a bred roll and a boiled egg - lunch done!0 Helpful
The soup seemed like it was missing something. The salad was 4 stars.0 Helpful
I said 4. My husband said 3. So we will go with 3.5. Enjoyed this for lunch. Feels very healthy. The olive oil on the toast really made a difference on the avocado toast. Good meal.0 Helpful
I actually subbed in a watermelon feta gazpacho but made everything else the same. It was sooooo delicious and nutritious and fresh and summery!0 Helpful
I still don't love gazpacho.0 Helpful