Gazpacho (Chilled Tomato Soup)
marinated chickpeas / avocado toast
- Tomatoes, heirloom preferable - 2 lb
- Cucumbers, medium - 1
- Garlic - 1 clove , peeled
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Mint, fresh - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Green onions - 1 , green parts only; chopped
- Lemons - 1 , zest and juice
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , rinsed and drained
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, feta - 3 oz , crumbled
- Sandwich bread - 4 slices
- Avocados - 2
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Make gazpacho - Roughly chop tomatoes and cucumbers. Combine tomatoes, cucumbers, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, sugar, cumin and red pepper flakes (if using) in a food processor or blender. Pulse until a nearly smooth (we like to stop while it still has a bit of texture). Season with some salt and pepper or add more chili flakes if you would like. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes so you can serve it chilled. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mint / Green onions / Lemons - Prep as directed.
- Marinate chickpeas - Rinse and drain garbanzo beans. Combine beans with mint, green onions, lemon zest and juice, olive oil and some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Toss chickpeas to coat in dressing. Crumble feta over top.
- Toast bread. Mash avocado in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle toast with olive oil and spread mashed avocado over top.
- Serve gazpacho chilled with marinated chickpeas and avocado toast on the side. (We like the chickpeas served over the top of the gazpacho too, if you’re craving a bit more texture in the soup.) Enjoy!