Gazpacho (Chilled Tomato Soup)
marinated chickpeas / avocado toast
- Tomatoes, heirloom preferable - 2 lb
- Cucumbers, medium - 1
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Mint, fresh - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Green onions, green parts only - 1, chopped
- Lemons - 1, zest and juice
- Garbanzo beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, rinsed and drained
- Olive oil - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, feta - 3 oz, crumbled
- Sandwich bread - 4 slices
- Avocados - 2
- Olive oil - 2 tsp
- Make gazpacho - Roughly chop tomatoes and cucumbers. Combine tomatoes, cucumbers, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, sugar, cumin and red pepper flakes (if using) in a food processor or blender. Pulse until a nearly smooth (we like to stop while it still has a bit of texture). Season with some salt and pepper or add more chili flakes if you would like. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes so you can serve it chilled. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mint / Green onions / Lemons - Prep as directed.
- Marinate chickpeas - Rinse and drain garbanzo beans. Combine beans with mint, green onions, lemon zest and juice, olive oil and some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Toss chickpeas to coat in dressing. Crumble feta over top.
- Toast bread. Mash avocado in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle toast with olive oil and spread mashed avocado over top.
- Serve gazpacho chilled with marinated chickpeas and avocado toast on the side. (We like the chickpeas served over the top of the gazpacho too, if you’re craving a bit more texture in the soup.) Enjoy!
Awesome, you can add a little more vinegar and some mint to the gazpacho. I added cayenne pepper as well! There is no reason not to make guacamole as the bread spread,1 Helpful
Made the soup and it was okay but nothing I would make again. Made a croissant, turkey, guacamole sandwich instead, which was great :).0 Helpful
I love the gazpacho but skipped the other accompanying pieces. Have done the soup several times - and with the heat wave this summer it saved me. Easy and delicious - would add a bred roll and a boiled egg - lunch done!0 Helpful
The soup seemed like it was missing something. The salad was 4 stars.0 Helpful
I said 4. My husband said 3. So we will go with 3.5. Enjoyed this for lunch. Feels very healthy. The olive oil on the toast really made a difference on the avocado toast. Good meal.0 Helpful
I actually subbed in a watermelon feta gazpacho but made everything else the same. It was sooooo delicious and nutritious and fresh and summery!0 Helpful
I still don't love gazpacho.0 Helpful