Vietnamese Salad with Chicken and Vermicelli
Vietnamese noodle salads are distinctive for their clean, fresh flavors and the lightly sweet dressings that gather in the bottom of the bowl. We add marinated chicken and roasted peanuts for a one-bowl dinner that packs tons of flavor!
Vietnamese Dressing with Lime:
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Brown sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 4 Tbsp
- Limes, juice of - 2
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Green onions, green parts only - 2 , minced
Chicken and Vermicelli Salad:
- Chicken, boneless breasts or thighs - 1 lb
- Honey - 3 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Rice vermicelli noodles (find these in the ethnic aisle or sub soba or angel hair) - 3 oz
- Carrots, small - 2 , grated
- Cucumbers, medium - 1 , matchsticks
- Green lettuce, small - 1 head , chopped
- Mint, fresh - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Peanuts, roasted & unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Vietnamese dressing with lime (ingredients listed separately) - ~3/4 cup
- Marinate chicken - Cut chicken into 1” (2.5 cm) cubes. Combine honey and soy sauce and pour over chicken pieces. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make dressing - Mince garlic. Grate ginger. Combine garlic, ginger, sugar, vinegar, fish sauce, lime juice, water and red pepper flakes (if using). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook rice noodles - Cook according to package instructions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Carrots / Cucumbers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Mint / Green onions - Prep as directed.
- Heat a wok or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to hot pan. (Reserve marinade.) Saute until chicken is nearly cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Add remaining marinade and cook until marinade reduces and coats chicken, ~2 minutes.
- Whisk dressing and sprinkle green onions over the top.
- Assemble salads by combining lettuce, noodles, carrots, cucumbers and chicken in serving bowls. Top with mint and peanuts. Pour dressing over salad just before serving. Enjoy!