Classic BLT (Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato) Sandwichessummer squash saute with feta and mint
There's something irresistible about a classic bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich. This version includes a foolproof crispy bacon made in the oven and a quick side of summer squash that's packed with flavor from feta and mint.
- Tomatoes, heirloom preferable - 3/4 lb, sliced
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like Romaine or Boston leaf - 1 head, leaves separated
- Bacon - 12 slices
- Sandwich bread - 8 slices
- Mayonnaise (sub mashed avocado) - 4 Tbsp
- Summer squash (sub zucchini) - 1 lb, sliced at a bias into 1/2" (1.2 cm) pieces
- Onions, red - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Mint, fresh - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Cheese, feta - 3 oz, crumbled
- Olive oil - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Heat oven to 375F / 190C degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and set bacon pieces on top so that none are overlapping. Cook bacon in oven until golden brown and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Pour off extra bacon grease during cooking, if needed, to prevent bacon from being submerged in oil.
- While bacon is cooking, heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and onions with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add squash and continue cooking until squash is tender, 5 to 6 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in mint, vinegar and red pepper flakes (if using). Season with some salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle feta over the top.
- Toast bread.
- Assemble each sandwich by spreading toast with mayonnaise. Top with tomatoes, lettuce and bacon. Serve with squash on the side and enjoy!
This meal has 34 reviews
We made just the squash -- it was great!
We used the mashed avocados instead of the mayo. Also added lime juice in it and a little bit of salsa and served it on croissants. This was the most delicious BLT I have ever had! :)
Subbed zucchini and loved it as a cold dish the next day. And this BLT with smashed avocado is my new sandwich love affair.
Well, who doesn't love a BLT???
BLT's are always good. I really loved the squash recipe! I almost didn't use the mint because I've never used mint before. I'm so glad I used it. The favors were all so good together.
Loved this! The BLT was great (of course) but I was pleasantly surprised by the zucchini side. Glad I didn't chicken out and only make the sandwich.