Classic BLT (Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato) Sandwiches
summer squash saute with feta and mint
There's something irresistible about a classic bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich. This version includes a foolproof crispy bacon made in the oven and a quick side of summer squash that's packed with flavor from feta and mint.
- Tomatoes, heirloom preferable - 3/4 lb , sliced
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like Romaine or Boston leaf - 1 head , leaves separated
- Bacon - 12 slices
- Sandwich bread - 8 slices
- Mayonnaise (sub mashed avocado) - 4 Tbsp
Summer Squash Saute with Feta and Mint:
- Summer squash (sub zucchini) - 1 lb , sliced at a bias into 1/2" (1.2 cm) pieces
- Onions, red - 1/2 , thinly sliced
- Mint, fresh - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Cheese, feta - 3 oz , crumbled
- Olive oil - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Squash / Onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce / Mint / Feta - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 375F / 190C degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and set bacon pieces on top so that none are overlapping. Cook bacon in oven until golden brown and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Pour off extra bacon grease during cooking, if needed, to prevent bacon from being submerged in oil.
- While bacon is cooking, heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and onions with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add squash and continue cooking until squash is tender, 5 to 6 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in mint, vinegar and red pepper flakes (if using). Season with some salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle feta over the top.
- Toast bread.
- Assemble each sandwich by spreading toast with mayonnaise. Top with tomatoes, lettuce and bacon. Serve with squash on the side and enjoy!