Avocado Summer Rolls
peanut dipping sauce / mango lassi
Vietnamese-style summer rolls are a light, refreshing summer meal. These are filled with crisp, fresh vegetables and ripe avocado and dipped in a rich peanut sauce. We serve them with a creamy mango lassi on the side. (Not sure how to make summer rolls? We've got you covered with this step-by-step video.)
- Mango, frozen cubes - 4 cups
- Yogurt, plain - 1 cup
- Limes, juice - 1
Peanut Dipping Sauce:
- Peanut butter - 1/3 cup (sub any nut butter)
- Orange juice - 2 Tbsp (bottled or fresh-squeezed)
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Sriracha (opt) - 1 tsp (sub hot sauce of choice)
- Water - 2 Tbsp
Summer Rolls with Avocado:
- Rice vermicelli noodles (Find these thin rice noodles in the ethnic aisle. If you can't find them, substitute with another thin noodle.) - 4 oz
- Cucumbers, medium - 1 , matchsticks
- Carrots, medium - 1 , matchsticks
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , matchsticks
- Avocados - 2 , sliced
- Basil, fresh - 1/4 cup , roughly chopped
- Rice papers (Look for them in the ethnic aisle.) - 16
- Cook rice noodles - Cook according to package instructions. If wrapping summer rolls on the same day, keep the noodles in cold water until you’re ready to wrap. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make dipping sauce - Whisk together peanut butter, orange juice, honey, soy sauce and sriracha. Add water a bit at a time until sauce reaches a smooth, pourable consistency. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Carrots / Bell peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make lassi - Blend mango with yogurt and lime juice. Add a pinch of salt (just a pinch brings out the the mango flavor). Add water, if needed, until mixture is smooth and pours easily. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Avocados / Basil - Prep as directed.
- Fill a frying pan with about 1 ½” (3.75 cm) of water. Heat water over medium-low heat - it shouldn't be so hot that you can’t touch it.
- Dip rice paper into water and rotate through water (check out this video to see how we keep the rice paper from sticking). Place onto a plate. Do 4 at a time and then assemble 4 rolls.
- To assemble rolls, layer noodles, cucumbers, carrots, peppers, avocados and basil at the end of the rice paper that is close to you. Don’t over-fill or the paper will break. Fold rice paper over the filling from the bottom up. Then fold sides over. Roll as tightly as possible (Again, check out the this video for tips).
- Repeat until you have no more filling. Serve summer rolls with dipping sauce and lassi on the side!