Tilapia Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw
corn and black bean salsa
- Tilapia (sub cod or other white fish) - 4 fillets
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Tortillas (6" / 15 cm), corn or flour - 8
- Sriracha or hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Cilantro, fresh - 1/2 bunch, chopped
- Napa cabbage (sub coleslaw mix) - 4 oz, thinly sliced
- Limes, juice - 2
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Cilantro, fresh - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Jalapeños - 1, seeds removed, chopped
- Corn kernels, frozen or fresh (1 ear corn = ~1 cup / 165 g) - 1 1/2 cups
- Black beans (1 can = 14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Limes, juice - 1
- Rice vinegar - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 2 tsp
- Cilantro (for slaw and salsa) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make corn salsa - Corn / Jalapenos - Prep as directed. Rinse and drain black beans. Combine corn, jalapenos, black beans, cilantro (just salsa's portion), lime juice, vinegar and cooking oil. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Dress slaw - Thinly slice cabbage. Toss with cilantro, lime juice, sugar and cooking oil. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Prep tilapia - Rinse fish and pat dry. Season with cumin and some salt and pepper.
- Turn on your oven’s broiler and place an oven rack about 6 inches (15 cm) below it. Line broiler pan with foil and brush with cooking oil. Place tilapia on foil skin-side down and broil until cooked through ~3 to 4 minutes (more or less depending on the thickness of the fish). Watch it closely near the end to make sure it doesn't overcook.
- Just before serving, cover tortillas with a slightly damp paper towel and warm in the microwave ~10 seconds.
- Assemble fish tacos by dividing tilapia between all of the tortillas. Top each with slaw and corn salsa. Finish with sriracha or other hot sauce if you like a little extra spice!
just ok. nothing special.0 Helpful
Loved the salsa and slaw, but I think next time I'll use seasoned soy crumbles instead of the grilled veggies. Just didn't taste like a "taco."0 Helpful
I think it would have been better if the grocery list had worked properly. It left off the cabbage, so I didn't have the ingredient to make the slaw.0 Helpful
Made this while on vacation- simple and delicious!0 Helpful
Loved the slaw and salsa. Will use another white fish (not tilapia). Needs to broil 3-4 min on EACH side.0 Helpful