Herb-Marinated Vegetable Sandwiches
corn on the cob
Marinated in fresh herbs and cooked on the grill, these sandwiches are piled high with flavorful vegetables and served with fresh summer corn on the side. We doubled the veggies so you'll have some leftover for Tuesday's tacos!
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Cheese, provolone - 4 oz
- Sandwich rolls - 4
- Sandwich toppings of choice (like mayo and mustard) -
- Herb marinated vegetables (listed separately) -
- Corn, fresh cobs (leave husks on) - 4
- Limes, juice - 1
- Butter, for serving - 2 Tbsp
Herb Marinated Vegetables (enough for 2 meals):
- Bell peppers, any combo - 3 , sliced
- Squash, yellow - 3 , sliced
- Zucchini, medium - 3 , sliced
- Onions, red - 1 , sliced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Basil, fresh - 2 Tbsp , minced
- Mint, fresh - 2 Tbsp , minced
- Cooking oil - 1/2 cup
- Vinegar, red wine - 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Bell peppers / Squash / Zucchini / Onions - Prep as directed.
- Marinate vegetables - Garlic / Basil / Mint - Prep as directed. Toss together garlic, basil, mint, cooking oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Marinate, refrigerated, for at least one hour but preferably overnight. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Prep cheese and rolls - If not pre-sliced, cut cheese into slices. Slice sandwich rolls down the middle.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- If making vegetables and corn on the grill: Preheat grill to 400F (204C) degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Soak corn, still in its husks (keeping the husks on will prevent corn from drying out), in water for 10 minutes while the grill heats up. Shake excess water off corn and, still in husks, place over indirect heat and close grill cover. Meanwhile, remove vegetable pieces from marinade and place over direct heat. Close grill cover and allow corn and vegetables to cook until beginning to char, ~4 minutes. Turn and cook them on the other side until corn husk is blackened and vegetables are tender, ~4 minutes more. Corn is done when husks are charred and blackened.
- If roasting vegetables in the oven: Preheat oven to 400F (204C) degrees. Adjust oven rack to the middle. Line broiler pan with foil and place broiler rack on top of the pan. Remove vegetable pieces from marinade, place on rack and roast for ~15 to 20 minutes, brushing with leftover marinade and flipping halfway through cooking. Note: Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the vegetable slices.
- If roasting vegetables in the oven: While veggies cook, place corn (still in its husks) on a plate and microwave on high until cooked through ~3 to 4 minutes. Shuck corn by using a kitchen towel to hold the pointed end (careful - it will be hot!) and slicing off the stem end, just above the first row of corn. Using the kitchen towel, slide the husk and silk off the top of the corn.
- Toast sandwich rolls. Assemble sandwiches by spreading rolls with whatever condiments you've chosen and topping each with vegetables (remember to save half the vegetables for Tuesday!) and sliced provolone. Squeeze lime juice over corn and serve with butter, salt and pepper. Enjoy!