cucumber peach salsa / yellow squash
We use orange juice in the marinade to give this grilled chicken a sweet citrus flavor. Served with summer squash and topped with cucumber peach salsa, this meal is bursting with summer flavors. We double the chicken today so you'll have leftovers for Wednesday!
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Orange juice (store-bought or fresh-squeezed) - 1 cup
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken, skin-on breasts and/or thighs (enough for Wed) - 2 1/2 lb
- Yellow squash - 3/4 lb, 1/2” (1.25 cm) thick slices
- Jalapeños - 1, seeds removed, chopped
- Cucumbers, medium - 1, chopped
- Peaches - 2, chopped
- Basil, fresh - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Mint, fresh - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Cooking oil - 1 tsp
- Limes, juice - 1
- Marinate chicken - Smash garlic cloves (no need to remove the peels). Combine garlic, orange juice, aminos, honey and salt. Pour over chicken pieces and marinate, refrigerated, for at least one hour but preferably overnight. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Jalapenos / Cucumbers / Squash - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make salsa - Peaches / Basil / Mint - Prep as directed. Toss together peaches, basil, mint, jalapenos, cucumbers and cooking oil. Squeeze lime juice over the top (this will help the peaches to hold their color if you prep this early in the day). Season with salt and pepper.
- If making chicken and squash on the grill: Preheat grill to 500F (260C) degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Remove chicken pieces from marinade (reserve marinade for later though), and place over direct heat. Cook over direct heat on opposite sides for ~4 minutes each and then move to indirect heat. Brush squash with some cooking oil, season with salt and pepper, and place over indirect heat. Brush chicken with leftover marinade and close grill cover. Allow squash and chicken to cook for another 8 to 15 minutes, turning squash halfway through. Cook time will depend on the size of chicken pieces and if they are bone-in (bone-in chicken will take longer). Use a thermometer to help you figure out when the chicken is done, at 165F (74C) degrees. (Remember to reserve half the chicken for Wednesday!)
- If making chicken in the oven: Preheat oven to 400F (204C) degrees. Adjust oven rack to the middle. Line broiler pan with foil and place broiler rack on top of the pan. Remove chicken pieces from marinade, place on rack and roast for ~30 to 40 minutes, brushing with leftover marinade halfway through cooking. Note: Cooking time will depend on the size of the chicken pieces and if they are bone-in (bone-in chicken will take longer). Use a thermometer to help you figure out when the chicken is done, at 165F (74C) degrees. (Remember to reserve half the chicken for Wednesday!)
- If making chicken in the oven: While chicken cooks, heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and squash slices. Season with some salt and pepper and sear until golden brown, ~4 minutes. Flip and cook the other side until tender.
- Top chicken with cucumber-peach salsa and serve with squash on the side. Enjoy!
- Note: If you want to get a head-start on Wednesday's dinner, roughly chop the leftover chicken before refrigerating it.
salsa didn't have much flavor. Chicken was dry.0 Helpful
Marinade needed more salt/flavor0 Helpful
The salsa didn't have much flavor. Loved the chicken.0 Helpful
Great summer meal. Nice and light.0 Helpful
Tenderize chicken to max flavor of marinade0 Helpful
Awesome flavors! Highly recommend!0 Helpful