cucumber peach salsa / corn on the cob
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Orange juice (store-bought or fresh-squeezed) - 1 cup
- Tamari - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken, skin-on breasts and/or thighs (enough for Wed) - 2 1/2 lb
- Corn, fresh cobs (leave husks on) - 4
- Limes, juice - 1
- Butter, for serving - 2 Tbsp
- Jalapeños - 1, seeds removed, chopped
- Cucumbers, medium - 1, chopped
- Peaches - 2, chopped
- Basil, fresh - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Mint, fresh - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Cooking oil - 1 tsp
- Limes, juice - 1
- Marinate chicken - Smash garlic cloves (no need to remove the peels). Combine garlic, orange juice, tamari, honey and salt. Pour over chicken pieces and marinate, refrigerated, for at least one hour but preferably overnight. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Jalapenos / Cucumbers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make salsa - Peaches / Basil / Mint - Prep as directed. Toss together peaches, basil, mint, jalapenos, cucumbers and cooking oil. Squeeze lime juice over the top (this will help the peaches to hold their color if you prep this early in the day). Season with salt and pepper.
- If making chicken and corn on the grill: Preheat grill to 500F (260C) degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Soak corn, still in its husks (keeping the husks on will prevent corn from drying out), in water for 10 minutes while the grill heats up. Remove chicken pieces from marinade (reserve marinade for later though), and place over direct heat. Cook over direct heat on opposite sides for ~4 minutes each and then move to indirect heat. Shake excess water off corn and, still in husks, place over indirect heat. Brush chicken with leftover marinade and close grill cover. Allow corn and chicken to cook for another 8 to 15 minutes, turning corn halfway through. Cook time will depend on the size of chicken pieces and if they are bone-in (bone-in chicken will take longer). Use a thermometer to help you figure out when the chicken is done, at 165F (74C) degrees. Corn is done when husks are charred and blackened. (Remember to reserve half the chicken for Wednesday!)
- If making chicken in the oven: Preheat oven to 400F (204C) degrees. Adjust oven rack to the middle. Line broiler pan with foil and place broiler rack on top of the pan. Remove chicken pieces from marinade, place on rack and roast for ~30 to 40 minutes, brushing with leftover marinade halfway through cooking. Note: Cooking time will depend on the size of the chicken pieces and if they are bone-in (bone-in chicken will take longer). Use a thermometer to help you figure out when the chicken is done, at 165F (74C) degrees. (Remember to reserve half the chicken for Wednesday!)
- If making chicken in the oven: Place corn (still in its husks) on a plate and microwave on high until cooked through ~3 to 4 minutes. Shuck corn by using a kitchen towel to hold the pointed end (careful - it will be hot!) and slicing off the stem end, just above the first row of corn. Using the kitchen towel, slide the husk and silk off the top of the corn.
- Squeeze lime juice over the cobs and serve with butter, salt and pepper. Top chicken with cucumber-peach salsa and enjoy!
- Note: If you want to get a head-start on Wednesday's dinner, roughly chop the leftover chicken before refrigerating it.
salsa didn't have much flavor. Chicken was dry.0 Helpful
Marinade needed more salt/flavor0 Helpful
The salsa didn't have much flavor. Loved the chicken.0 Helpful
Great summer meal. Nice and light.0 Helpful
Tenderize chicken to max flavor of marinade0 Helpful
Awesome flavors! Highly recommend!0 Helpful