Miso-Sesame Tofu & Zucchini
with miso-sesame slaw
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 1 1/2 lbs, sliced into rectangles
- Toasted sesame oil - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 4 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Zucchini - 1 lb, sliced lengthwise
- Miso-sesame sauce, homemade - 5 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Sesame seeds - for serving
- Sesame seeds - 1 Tbsp, toasted
- Miso paste, any type - 2 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Honey - 4 tsp
- Hot sauce - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Toasted sesame oil - 4 tsp
- Coleslaw mix (or any slaw mix) - 6 oz
- Miso-sesame sauce - 5 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Then slice into 0.5” (1.25 cm) thick rectangles. (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
- Marinate tofu - Mix together toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, and rice vinegar. Pour over tofu and marinate for at least 15 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Zucchini - Slice lengthwise into ½” thick pieces.
- Make miso-sesame sauce - Toast sesame seeds in a frying pan over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Mix sesame seeds with miso, rice vinegar, lime juice, honey, hot sauce, cooking oil, and toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Toss slaw’s portion of the miso-sesame sauce with coleslaw mix. Cover and refrigerate.
- If cooking tofu & zucchini on grill: Preheat grill to 450F (232C) degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Place tofu and zucchini over direct heat. Grill tofu & zucchini on both sides for ~3 minutes each, with the cover closed (rotate once on each side to create more grill marks). Remove zucchini from the grill and move tofu to indirect heat. Brush zucchini with some of the miso-sesame sauce and brush remainder onto tofu. Cook tofu with the cover closed for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- If cooking tofu & zucchini on stovetop: Heat grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some cooking oil. Place tofu and zucchini onto hot grill pan and sear on both sides for 3 to 4 minutes each, rotating once to create more grill marks. Remove zucchini from pan. Brush zucchini with some of the miso-sesame sauce. Lower heat and cover tofu with foil. Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. Brush remainder of sauce onto tofu and cook for another minute on each side.
- Enjoy grilled tofu and zucchini with slaw and lime wedges! Sprinkle tofu and zucchini with more sesame seeds if desired.
Really good! All the ingredients came together really well.0 Helpful
Hubby LOVED this, though kids were not a fan.0 Helpful
I stir fried instead of grilled and added cauliflower. Delicious. This sauce is going into rotation!0 Helpful
The slaw was great, double the sauce, thicken the part for chicken...use something other than breast0 Helpful
Next time, I'll make more sauce for the chicken. The slaw was excellent.0 Helpful
Oh my gosh! Amazing meal! The hot sauce makes it the perfect amount of sweet and spicy0 Helpful