Miso-Sesame Chicken & Zucchini
with miso-sesame slaw
- Chicken thighs, boneless & skinless - 1 1/2 lbs
- Zucchini - 1 lb, sliced lengthwise
- Miso-sesame sauce, homemade - 5 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Sesame seeds - for serving
- Sesame seeds - 1 Tbsp, toasted
- Miso paste, any type - 2 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Honey - 4 tsp
- Hot sauce - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Toasted sesame oil - 4 tsp
- Coleslaw mix (or any slaw mix) - 6 oz
- Miso-sesame sauce - 5 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Chicken - Season with salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Zucchini - Slice lengthwise into ½” thick pieces.
- Make miso-sesame sauce - Toast sesame seeds in a frying pan over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Mix sesame seeds with miso, rice vinegar, lime juice, honey, hot sauce, cooking oil, and toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Toss slaw’s portion of the miso-sesame sauce with coleslaw mix. Cover and refrigerate.
- If cooking chicken & zucchini on grill: Preheat grill to 450F (232C) degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Place chicken and zucchini over direct heat. Grill chicken & zucchini on both sides for ~3 minutes each, with the cover closed (rotate once on each side to create more grill marks). Remove zucchini from the grill and move chicken to indirect heat. Brush zucchini with some of the miso-sesame sauce and brush remainder onto chicken. Cook chicken with the cover closed for another 3 to 5 minutes, until chicken reaches 165F (74C).
- If cooking chicken & zucchini on stovetop: Heat grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some cooking oil. Place chicken and zucchini onto hot grill pan and sear on both sides for 3 to 4 minutes each, rotating once to create more grill marks. Remove zucchini from pan. Brush zucchini with some of the miso-sesame sauce. Lower heat and cover chicken with foil. Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. Brush remainder of sauce onto chicken and cook for another minute on each side.
- Enjoy grilled chicken and zucchini with slaw and lime wedges! Sprinkle chicken and zucchini with more sesame seeds if desired.
Cut chicken in bite size pieces and zucchini in small rounds - cooked them in a sauté pan, all was delicious0 Helpful
So good! Loved the charred chicken and the miso-sesame sauce. Zucchnini was also awesome. Forgot to make the slaw but will be doing it to enjoy as a vessel for more of that delicious sauce!0 Helpful
The chicken was good, a little sweet.0 Helpful
Blah. Too repetitive with the sauce.0 Helpful
The sauce was amazing. I don't think it needed the slaw or if it's done again, I'd vary the dressing for the slaw to something lighter and citrusy.0 Helpful
This was good. I think i used too much salt on the chicken because it came a bit salty in the end. This was my first introduction to cooking with Miso, and I am sold! The chicken thighs were juicier and seemlingly more flavorful than the typical chicken breast. I am surprised they stayed so juicy despite having fork holes all over them.0 Helpful