Savory Sesame Chicken & Zucchiniwith savory sesame slaw
- Chicken thighs, boneless & skinless - 1 1/2 lbs
- Zucchini - 1 lb, sliced lengthwise
- Savory sesame sauce, homemade - 5 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Sesame seeds - for serving
- Sesame seeds - 1 Tbsp, toasted
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Honey - 4 tsp
- Hot sauce - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Toasted sesame oil - 4 tsp
- Coleslaw mix (or any slaw mix) - 6 oz
- Savory sesame sauce - 5 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Chicken - Season with salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Zucchini - Slice lengthwise into ½” thick pieces.
- Make savory sesame sauce - Toast sesame seeds in a frying pan over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Mix sesame seeds with aminos, rice vinegar, lime juice, honey, hot sauce, cooking oil, and toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Toss slaw’s portion of the savory sesame sauce with coleslaw mix. Cover and refrigerate.
- If cooking chicken & zucchini on grill: Preheat grill to 450F (232C) degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Place chicken and zucchini over direct heat. Grill chicken & zucchini on both sides for ~3 minutes each, with the cover closed (rotate once on each side to create more grill marks). Remove zucchini from the grill and move chicken to indirect heat. Brush zucchini with some of the savory sesame sauce and brush remainder onto chicken. Cook chicken with the cover closed for another 3 to 5 minutes, until chicken reaches 165F (74C).
- If cooking chicken & zucchini on stovetop: Heat grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some cooking oil. Place chicken and zucchini onto hot grill pan and sear on both sides for 3 to 4 minutes each, rotating once to create more grill marks. Remove zucchini from pan. Brush zucchini with some of the savory sesame sauce. Lower heat and cover chicken with foil. Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. Brush remainder of sauce onto chicken and cook for another minute on each side.
- Enjoy grilled chicken and zucchini with slaw and lime wedges! Sprinkle chicken and zucchini with more sesame seeds if desired.
This meal has 47 reviews
Would have liked a different dressing on the salad. Too much of a good thing
Love the sauce on the slaw, and on the zucchini, but wouldn't do it on both again. A few drops of sriracha was plenty spicy for us. Cooked the thighs on the stovetop and it took forever to get done. Seared it, then simmered with chicken broth to keep it moist.
Loved the sauce! Felt like it would be too much of the same flavor, so didn't brush sauce on the zucchini.
Quick and easy. Tasty but nothing spectacular.
A little too acidic to my taste but not bad.
the sauce was great but next time I will use chicken breast instead of thighs. cole slaw ok, zuccini pretty good!