Miso-Sesame Tofu & Zucchini
with miso-sesame slaw
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 1 1/2 lbs, sliced into rectangles
- Toasted sesame oil - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 4 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Zucchini - 1 lb, sliced lengthwise
- Miso-sesame sauce, homemade - 5 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Sesame seeds - for serving
- Sesame seeds - 1 Tbsp, toasted
- Miso paste, any type - 2 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Honey - 4 tsp
- Hot sauce - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Toasted sesame oil - 4 tsp
- Coleslaw mix (or any slaw mix) - 6 oz
- Miso-sesame sauce - 5 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Then slice into 0.5” (1.25 cm) thick rectangles. (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
- Marinate tofu - Mix together toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, and rice vinegar. Pour over tofu and marinate for at least 15 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Zucchini - Slice lengthwise into ½” thick pieces.
- Make miso-sesame sauce - Toast sesame seeds in a frying pan over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Mix sesame seeds with miso, rice vinegar, lime juice, honey, hot sauce, cooking oil, and toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Toss slaw’s portion of the miso-sesame sauce with coleslaw mix. Cover and refrigerate.
- If cooking tofu & zucchini on grill: Preheat grill to 450F (232C) degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Place tofu and zucchini over direct heat. Grill tofu & zucchini on both sides for ~3 minutes each, with the cover closed (rotate once on each side to create more grill marks). Remove zucchini from the grill and move tofu to indirect heat. Brush zucchini with some of the miso-sesame sauce and brush remainder onto tofu. Cook tofu with the cover closed for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- If cooking tofu & zucchini on stovetop: Heat grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some cooking oil. Place tofu and zucchini onto hot grill pan and sear on both sides for 3 to 4 minutes each, rotating once to create more grill marks. Remove zucchini from pan. Brush zucchini with some of the miso-sesame sauce. Lower heat and cover tofu with foil. Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. Brush remainder of sauce onto tofu and cook for another minute on each side.
- Enjoy grilled tofu and zucchini with slaw and lime wedges! Sprinkle tofu and zucchini with more sesame seeds if desired.
I couldn't believe how filling this was with just veggies & tofu! I have loved everything we've ever made with miso. Even my husband, who always comments on how much better our veggies dishes would be with meat had no complaints here - he loved it!0 Helpful
Everything was good. Nothing special. Subbed green beans for the slaw.0 Helpful
I took everyone's advice that the sauce on all 3 elements was too much. So I made the coleslaw with lemon and lime juice and zest, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and honey. It was awesome and the citrus balanced out the sweetness of the miso sauce. Everything tasted great together. It did take kind of a long time to cook. I kept adding a bit more sauce as I flipped them over and it eventually caramelized.0 Helpful
Skipped the slaw, loved the rest0 Helpful
I enjoyed the zucchini the most. I think this will be a great go to grilling sauce I will definitely use again!0 Helpful
Used broccoli slaw. Loved it!0 Helpful