Savory Sesame Chicken & Zucchini
with savory sesame slaw
- Chicken thighs, boneless & skinless - 1 1/2 lbs
- Zucchini - 1 lb, sliced lengthwise
- Savory sesame sauce, homemade - 5 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Sesame seeds - for serving
- Sesame seeds - 1 Tbsp, toasted
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Honey - 4 tsp
- Hot sauce - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Toasted sesame oil - 4 tsp
- Coleslaw mix (or any slaw mix) - 6 oz
- Savory sesame sauce - 5 Tbsp ((ingredients listed separately))
- Chicken - Season with salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Zucchini - Slice lengthwise into ½” thick pieces.
- Make savory sesame sauce - Toast sesame seeds in a frying pan over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Mix sesame seeds with aminos, rice vinegar, lime juice, honey, hot sauce, cooking oil, and toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Toss slaw’s portion of the savory sesame sauce with coleslaw mix. Cover and refrigerate.
- If cooking chicken & zucchini on grill: Preheat grill to 450F (232C) degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Place chicken and zucchini over direct heat. Grill chicken & zucchini on both sides for ~3 minutes each, with the cover closed (rotate once on each side to create more grill marks). Remove zucchini from the grill and move chicken to indirect heat. Brush zucchini with some of the savory sesame sauce and brush remainder onto chicken. Cook chicken with the cover closed for another 3 to 5 minutes, until chicken reaches 165F (74C).
- If cooking chicken & zucchini on stovetop: Heat grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some cooking oil. Place chicken and zucchini onto hot grill pan and sear on both sides for 3 to 4 minutes each, rotating once to create more grill marks. Remove zucchini from pan. Brush zucchini with some of the savory sesame sauce. Lower heat and cover chicken with foil. Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. Brush remainder of sauce onto chicken and cook for another minute on each side.
- Enjoy grilled chicken and zucchini with slaw and lime wedges! Sprinkle chicken and zucchini with more sesame seeds if desired.
Loved everything about this! Added rice :)0 Helpful
I loved this dish, especially the slaw. The sauce was perfect. I am normally not a big fan of dark meat, but I was very happy with how tender it was. Will definitely share this recipe with friends.0 Helpful
I think grilling is definitely the way to do the chicken. I couldn't get the zucchini to turn out the way I wanted it to, but it still tasted good.0 Helpful
Made twice already. Love. Used less honey and more like to suit our tastes. Mmmmm0 Helpful
Delicious! Followed the recipe except for the slaw. Took the advice of others- used less of the miso dressing on the slaw and added extra sesame seeds and the juice of one lime. So tasty! The strong citrus slaw complimented the tofu well.0 Helpful
Quick and easy, and oh so yummy!0 Helpful