Mediterranean Meatballs in Pita Pockets
tomato & shallot salad
Smarts: Double the meatballs and use them later in the week in a pasta or a wrap.
- Parsley - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Shallots - 1 bulb, chopped
- Tomatoes - 1 1/2 pints, halved
- Red wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Parsley, fresh - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Sundried tomatoes - 4, chopped finely
- Ground chicken - 1 1/4 lb
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/4 cup ((more if meatball mixture is too wet))
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Salt - 3/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Cucumbers - 4 oz, diced
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 1/2 cup
- Yogurt, plain - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Pitas - 4, halved
- Parsley (for meatballs & salad) / Shallots / Sundried tomatoes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make meatballs - Mix chopped parsley (just amount for meatballs) with ground chicken, panko, sundried tomatoes, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Form into 1” (2.5 cm) wide meatballs. If the mixture is too dry to mold, add an egg (not listed in ingredients). If it’s too wet, add more panko. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cucumbers - Prep as directed.
- Toss tomatoes, shallots, and parsley with red wine vinegar, olive oil, and some salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then meatballs to heated oil. Sear on both sides for 3 minutes each.
- Lower heat to medium, and add chicken stock. Cover pan with lid or foil and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes, until meatballs are done.
- While meatballs cook, mix cucumbers with yogurt and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt.
- Halve pitas on a sheet pan and broil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- When meatballs are done, halve. Place into pita pockets and drizzle with tzatziki. Enjoy with tomato salad on the side!
We all enjoyed these meatballs! I replaced the tomato salad with a regular green lettuce salad since we already had it on hand. My only quibble--the Tzatziki sauce needs garlic! I made it as written, tasted it, then added two small cloves as well as a pinch of salt. So much better (and authentic tasting) that way!0 Helpful
So tasty!0 Helpful
Definitely a winner for even my husband that doesn't like chicken. I kept the tomato salad simple with no dressing. Just added cucumbers, feta, and some salt to it.0 Helpful
the meatballs were so tasty I ate them without the bread. Will make again.0 Helpful
This was awesome! I added some dried dill and fresh black pepper to the yogurt. I also added lettuce to the pitas. Can't wait to make again!!0 Helpful
Triple and freeze some for later! Everyone finally ate my whole meal( little kids)0 Helpful