Mexican Chopped Salad with Chicken
avocado / tomatoes / red peppers
Chopped salads are a great way to stay cool and healthy for the summer. This one packs well too!
Smarts: Make this into a mason jar salad by layering dressing and heartier ingredients on the bottom and lettuce on top. Shake when ready to eat!
- Chicken breasts, boneless & skinless - 1 lb , tenderized
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Shallots - 1 bulb , sliced
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , chopped
- Tomatoes - 1/2 lb , chopped
- Avocado, large - 1 , cubed
- Romaine lettuce, chopped - 8 oz
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 2 oz
- Limes - 1/2 , sliced into wedges
- Red wine vinegar - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Adobo sauce (usually found with canned chipotle peppers) - 2 tsp ((use less if you're afraid of spice))
- Paprika, preferably smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 5 Tbsp
Chicken - Cover with parchment paper and flatten with a tenderizer until breasts are only 0.5” (1.25 cm) thick (like in this video). Mix together garlic powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and chili powder. Sprinkle over both sides of the chicken. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
Red peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Make adobo-honey dressing - Whisk together red wine vinegar, honey, adobo sauce, paprika, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush with some cooking oil and then add chicken to heated oil / pan. Cook on each side for 4 to 5 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
Let rest for 5 minutes and then chop up into bite-sized pieces.
You can toss romaine with chicken, shallots, red peppers, tomatoes, avocados, and pumpkin seeds with dressing or you can arrange ingredients over romaine lettuce (like in our photo). Finish with juice from lime wedges - enjoy!