Vegetarian Mexican Chopped Salad
corn / avocado / tomatoes / black beans / queso fresco
Chopped salads are a great way to stay cool and healthy for the summer. This one packs well too!
Smarts: Make this into a mason jar salad by layering dressing and heartier ingredients on the bottom and lettuce on top. Shake when ready to eat!
- Corn - 2 cobs , kernels of
- Shallots - 1 bulb , sliced
- Tomatoes - 1/2 lb , chopped
- Avocado, large - 1 , cubed
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , rinsed and drained
- Romaine lettuce, chopped - 8 oz
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 2 oz
- Queso fresco - 4 oz , crumbled
- Limes - 1/2 , sliced into wedges
- Red wine vinegar - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Adobo sauce (usually found with canned chipotle peppers) - 2 tsp ((use less if you're afraid of spice))
- Paprika, preferably smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Yogurt, plain - 2 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
Corn - Microwave corn with husk on for 4 minutes each (up to 2 at a time). Use the trick in this video to cook corn and make husk removal easy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
Make adobo-honey dressing - Whisk together red wine vinegar, honey, adobo sauce, paprika, yogurt, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
You can toss romaine with corn, shallots, tomatoes, avocados, black beans, and pumpkin seeds with dressing and then cover with crumbled queso fresco or you can arrange ingredients over romaine lettuce (like in our photo). Finish with juice from lime wedges - enjoy!