Caprese Steaks with Pesto Tomatoes
watermelon and mint salad
- Flank steak (sub skirt or hanger) - 1 lb
- Tomatoes, heirloom preferable - 1 lb, chopped
- Basil leaves - 1/2 cup, torn
- Kale pesto (leftover from Mon) - 1/2 cup
- Watermelon - 1 lb (1 lb=~1/4 large watermelon), cut into 3/4" / 2 cm cubes
- Mint, fresh - 1/2 bunch, chopped
- Arugula - 4 oz
- Olive oil - 1 Tbsp
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 tsp
- If making steak on grill: Preheat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Place steak over direct heat. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Move steak to indirect heat and cook until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- If making steak on stovetop / oven: Heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush with cooking oil. Place steak onto hot grill pan. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side. Transfer steak to sheet pan; finish cooking in the oven at 425F / 218C degrees. This should be ~4 minutes for medium-rare; ~7 minutes for medium; and 10 minutes for well-done.
- Let steak rest, covered, for ~5 minutes.
- Combine watermelon, arugula, and mint in a serving bowl. Drizzle olive oil and vinegar over top. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt. In a separate bowl, toss tomatoes and basil with pesto.
- Cut steak into even portions (or thinly slice against the grain). Spoon pesto tomatoes over top. Enjoy with watermelon on the side!
Used store bought pesto and toasted ciabatta bread a bit. Very good! Perfect for a hot day. Watermelon salad was good as well, but would make less next time so we don't have it as leftovers (didn't hold up well).0 Helpful
I used store bought pesto that I already had on hand. Used ciabatta bread and drizzled garlic olive oil on it. Broiled the bread with mozzarella for a few minutes to melt the cheese. We loved it! It was light and required little cooking, perfect on a 100 degree day. I doubled the recipe and we plan to take some for lunch tomorrow!0 Helpful
Love love love!0 Helpful
Family hit - we loved it.0 Helpful
I've had better watermelon salad but in all fairness, we ate the salad right after mixing it up so it might have been better if the flavors had more of a chance to marinate together. Sandwich wasn't bad considering that we aren't crazy about pesto. Did drizzle them with balsamic vinegar for a flavor boost.0 Helpful
So simple and fresh. The entire family loved it!!😃0 Helpful