Pesto Grilled Shrimp & Asparagus
plum & citrus salad
Smarts: Pesto goes great with grilled food. Make a big batch at your next BBQ and people will slather it on everything!
- Skewers - 4 to 8
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Asparagus - 1 lb, trimmed
- Leftover pesto - 1/4 cup
- Plums - 1 to 2, sliced
- Oranges - 1, segmented
- Apple cider vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Almonds, sliced or slivered - 1/4 cup
- Skewers - If cooking on an outdoor grill, soak for at least 10 minutes so that they don’t burn.
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Assemble skewers - Thread skewers through shrimp. If using round skewers, use two / kebab to make it easier to flip. Lightly salt and pepper.
- Asparagus - Snap off ends.
- Plum / Citrus - Prep as directed. For plum prep, you can use this video for peaches.
- Vinaigrette - Whisk apple cider vinegar, honey, Dijon, and cooking oil. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- If cooking shrimp / asparagus on grill: Preheat grill to 450F (232C) degrees. Clean grates and brush grates, shrimp, and asparagus with some oil (not listed in ingredients). Place shrimp and asparagus over direct heat. Grill shrimp and asparagus for 2 to 3 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Remove shrimp from heat; if using thicker spears, you might have to cook asparagus for a bit longer.
- If cooking shrimp / asparagus on stovetop: Heat grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with cooking oil. Place shrimp and asparagus onto hot pan and grill both for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove shrimp from heat; if using thicker spears, you might have to cook asparagus for a bit longer.
- Microwave pesto for ~15 seconds. Brush leftover pesto over shrimp and asparagus and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Toss vinaigrette with plums, citrus, and greens. Garnish with sliced almonds and enjoy with shrimp and asparagus.
That pesto would be good on anything!0 Helpful
The salad dressing was delicious! I made the recipe with rice and it added a nice touch.0 Helpful
YES! This is our absolute favorite!!! Pesto - LOVE. Shrimp - LOVE. Asparagus - LOVE. And a surprise - the plums were really tasty in the salad. The only thing I didn't like was cooking the asparagus and shrimp at the same time in the pan. Next time I'd probably do the shrimp first. Other than that, awesome recipe!0 Helpful
We really liked this one!0 Helpful
I used store bought pesto (Classico Basil Pesto) but everything else was done by the recipe and I loved it! The shrimp on the grill were delish with the pesto and I LOVE the plum salad with the dressing - perfect combo!0 Helpful
Really liked the Pesto. The sour dressing for the sweet fruit was spot on.0 Helpful