Thai Curried Fried Rice
ground chicken / pineapple
We first featured this meal in October of 2013 and decided to give it a healthier makeover! This newer version is a little bit lighter but still has all the flavor as the original.
Smarts: Pineapple is sweet and tart and makes a great flavor contrast to savory.
- Ground chicken - 1 lb
- Fish sauce - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp + 1/2 Tbsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped with white and green parts separated
- Carrots, medium-sized - 1, grated
- Pineapple, fresh or canned - 1 1/2 cups, chopped
- Curry paste, yellow (sub green or red) - 1 Tbsp
- Coconut milk, light - 2/3 cup
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 2
- Leftover rice (from Monday) - 2 cups
- Cashews - 1/2 cup
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Ground chicken - Season with first part of fish sauce, first part of brown sugar, and some salt and pepper. Fold to mix. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Green Onions / Carrots / Pineapple - Prep as directed. Use a box grater to grate carrots (for larger batches, use a food processor). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Sauce - Whisk together curry paste, second part of fish sauce, second part of brown sugar, and coconut milk. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then ground chicken to heated oil. Pour in half the sauce, and break up meat with a wooden spoon. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes until meat is cooked through. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Return wok to heat and add second part of cooking oil to wok. Add in garlic and white parts of green onion to heated oil. Once you can smell the aromatics, crack eggs into wok and scramble. When eggs are done, add in carrots with a dash of salt. Stir-fry for ~1 minute. Next add in leftover rice, pineapple, and remainder of sauce. Toss everything together, and cook until rice is warmed through. Add in green parts of green onions, cashews, ground meat, and a squeeze of lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper or more fish sauce.
Used tofu and mango subs and worked amazing.0 Helpful
This was such a great balance of flavors - my favorite takeout made at home! I did use others' recommendations and doubled the sauce and found it was a perfect amount for the amount of rice.0 Helpful
Make sure to add pepper and a little more spice. I added more pineapple.0 Helpful
We did 1.5x the curry and replaced half the fish sauce with soy sauce. It could have used a little more heat but it was fine. However the texture was really unpleasant and mushy. I'd be willing to try again but in the future I would use day-old rice instead of fresh, diced or matchstick carrots instead of a fine grate, and cubed chicken rather than ground.0 Helpful
Had to use fresh rice, because we didn't have leftovers- probably would have been better if the rice had time to dry out in the fridge. Also, too much sauce made it quite mushy. Pretty good flavor, although I'd use half or less of the fish sauce next time. It was overpowering.0 Helpful
Added extra curry real nice contrast0 Helpful