Pesto Artichoke Pasta
butter beans / tomatoes / broccoli
Pesto Artichoke Pasta:
- Broccoli - 3/4 lb , chopped
- Artichoke hearts (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Tomatoes, any type - 2 , diced
- Beans, butter (14 oz / 397 g can - sub other white beans) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Shells (or other similar shaped pasta) - 8 oz
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
Basil Pesto (for 2 meals):
- Garlic - 2 cloves , peeled
- Basil sprigs - 4 oz , leaves of
- Pine nuts - 1/4 cup
- Cooking oil - 6 to 8 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- For pesto | Garlic cloves / Basil - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make pesto - Toast pine nuts in a frying pan over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes, until pine nuts are golden and fragrant. Place pine nuts, garlic cloves, basil, oil, salt, and lemon juice into food processor and puree until smooth. Season to taste with more salt, black pepper, and lemon juice. Save 1/4 cup (59 mL) for Thursday’s night dinner (amount for 4 servings; adjust accordingly if customizing). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Artichoke hearts - Chop, but if prepping right before cooking, get pasta started before returning to prep. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Butter beans - Drain and rinse.
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Save 1 cup (235 mL) of pasta water (amount is for 4 servings; adjust accordingly if customizing).
- While pasta cooks, place broccoli in a microwave-safe container. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes and 15 seconds, until tender but still al dente.
- Next heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add pesto and then half the pasta water. Once simmering, add beans and artichoke hearts to pesto. Saute for ~2 minutes.
- Add broccoli, cooked pasta, and remainder of pasta water. Toss until everything is all coated. Finish with lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Take off heat and fold in fresh tomatoes. Enjoy!