Fattoush with Pan-Fried Chickpeas
creamy tahini dressing
Fattoush is a Lebanese salad with crispy pita chips tossed in at the last minute for crunch. Our take includes spiced chickpeas and creamy tahini dressing for great flavor and texture!
- Pita chips (sub one pita bread round per cup) - 2 cups
- Cheese, feta - 3 oz, crumbled
- Cucumbers - 2, chopped
- Tomatoes - 2, chopped
- Mint, fresh - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Garbanzo beans - 2 cups
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Za'atar (sub equal parts chili powder and paprika) - 2 tsp
- Salad greens - 5 oz
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Lemons - 1, juice
- Tahini (sub plain yogurt) - 1/4 cup
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Prep pita chips - If using pita chips, roughly chop or crumble by hand (skip ahead to prep step #2). If using pita bread, preheat oven to to 400F / 204C degrees. Slice pita bread into 1" / 2.5 cm pieces and spread on a baking sheet. Bake, turning with a spatula halfway through, until crisp ~8 to 10 minutes. Store at room temperature. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make tahini dressing - Mince garlic. Whisk together lemon juice, garlic, tahini, olive oil and honey. Add water a bit at a time until smooth and pourable. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Feta - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes / Mint - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add oil. When oil begins to shimmer add beans and za’atar. Cook until beans are hot and begin to pop, ~5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble salads, top greens with beans, feta, cucumbers, tomatoes and mint. Add pita last, just before serving so it stays crunchy. Toss with tahini dressing and enjoy!
This is one of my absolute favorites. Love, love, love.0 Helpful
This was good -- 4-yr-old ate it up, not too spicy (but she didn't like the salad greens). Tahini seems to irritate my tongue, so will try yogurt next time.0 Helpful
Really easy and tasty! We didn't have mint, so I replaced with dill like one of the reviews suggested and it turned out great.0 Helpful
great recipe! Super easy, especially if you make the dressing ahead of time, and healthy too.0 Helpful
This salad is delicious! And pretty easy. I was worried as I was making it but then once I put it all together - YUM!! My husband liked it too. My 6 year old - not so much - but that's typical. :-)0 Helpful
Loved this! Added extra chili powder to chickpeas and red onion to salad.0 Helpful