Black Bean Burgers with Mango Salsa
lemony green beans
Black Bean Burgers:
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2 , diced
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans
- Panko breadcrumbs - 3/4 cup
- Eggs - 1
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 2 tsp (sub paprika)
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Avocados - 1 , sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Bell peppers, red - 1/2 , finely chopped
- Onions, medium and red - 1/4 , finely chopped
- Mangos - 2 , chopped
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
Lemony Green Beans:
- Green beans - 1 lb , trimmed
- Lemons - 1 , zest and juice
- Bell peppers / Red Onions (for burgers and salsa) / Green beans / Lemons - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make burger patties - Rinse and drain black beans. In a large bowl, mash black beans (you can use a fork, but the most efficient way to do this is with your hands!). Combine onions, black beans, panko, eggs, chili powder, paprika, coriander, cumin, salt, pepper and tomato paste, and mash until it all begins to stick together. If needed, add a bit more tomato paste until the mixture is sticky enough to form patties. Wet your hands and divide mixture into patties for the number of people being served. Place on parchment-lined plate or sheet pan to refrigerate. Cover with plastic wrap. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make salsa - Cube mangos. Combine bell peppers, red onions, mangos and vinegar.
- Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add cooking oil and then patties to heated oil. Cook on each side until browned on the outside and warmed through ~8 minutes.
- Place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave until tender (1 ½ minutes for thinner beans and closer to 2 ½ minutes for thicker beans). Toss with lemon zest and juice and season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Toast hamburger buns.
- Assemble burgers by layering patties with avocado slices and mango salsa. Enjoy with lemony green beans on the side!