Black Bean Burgers with Mango Salsa
lemony green beans
Our spiced black bean burgers with avocados and sweet-tangy mango salsa are packed with flavor and perfect for a warm summer night. They freeze well too!
- Red onions - 1/2, diced
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 2 cans
- Panko breadcrumbs - 3/4 cup
- Eggs - 1
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Smoked paprika (sub Paprika) - 2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Bell peppers, red - 1/2, finely chopped
- Red onions - 1/4, finely chopped
- Mangos - 2, chopped
- Rice vinegar - 2 tsp
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Lemons - 1, zest and juice
- Bell peppers / Red Onions (for burgers and salsa) / Green beans / Lemons - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make burger patties - Rinse and drain black beans. In a large bowl, mash black beans (you can use a fork, but the most efficient way to do this is with your hands!). Combine onions, black beans, panko, eggs, chili powder, paprika, coriander, cumin, salt, pepper and tomato paste, and mash until it all begins to stick together. If needed, add a bit more tomato paste until the mixture is sticky enough to form patties. Wet your hands and divide mixture into patties for the number of people being served. Place on parchment-lined plate or sheet pan to refrigerate. Cover with plastic wrap. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make salsa - Cube mangos. Combine bell peppers, red onions, mangos and vinegar.
- Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add cooking oil and then patties to heated oil. Cook on each side until browned on the outside and warmed through ~8 minutes.
- Place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave until tender (1 ½ minutes for thinner beans and closer to 2 ½ minutes for thicker beans). Toss with lemon zest and juice and season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Toast hamburger buns.
- Assemble burgers by layering patties with avocado slices and mango salsa. Enjoy with lemony green beans on the side!
Pork chops and salsa are delicious! Can do without green beans.0 Helpful
Delicious, added some jalepano to the salsa and couscous on the side.0 Helpful
Salsa needed a bit more flavor but nice easy tasty meal. Kids liked veggies0 Helpful
Straight to the top of our favorites list!0 Helpful
I made the pork chops and the salsa. I omitted the onions because we are not huge raw onion fans. I also added a little less chili powder. I didn't want it to be too spicy for the kids. Everything was DELICIOUS! It was so good my oldest son (13) asked me to make it again next week. The mango salsa added a great flavor to the pork.0 Helpful
This was a hit for everyone, even the kids. Make sure to double the spice recipe so you have it already prepped in the cupboard for next time. A few changes to the Mango salsa, I added 1/2 of a seeded jalepeno, lime juice instead of rice vinegar, cilantro and mint. I seasoned it to taste with a little bit of salt. I will definitely be making this recipe again.0 Helpful